GEICO introduces Garden Gnome Insurance: protection for your gnome, sweet gnome

By on April 1, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Posted in: Marketing & Communications, Odds & Ends, Sales and Service

Garden gnomesYou’d be surprised how many weird insurance policies there are. Alien abduction insurance, for example, is real. GEICO doesn’t offer it, however, because we’ve been focusing our research on a much more practical product: Garden Gnome Insurance.

You might not think you need Garden Gnome Insurance. But, I’m sure the first victim of a garden gnome theft thought the same thing, until it was too late. You see, there are criminals known as “garden gnome liberationists,” and the “traveling gnome prank” has been made popular in movies and video games. They call it “freedom”… we call it an “insurance claim.”

But fear not, gnome-owner! For as little as 41 cents a day, our garden gnome insurance protects up to 10 of your small, decorative, ceramic, bearded characters from theft or pranks. Depending on the policy you choose, you’ll receive:

• 24-hour claim service if one of your gnomes is toppled as a result of severe weather or collision with an animal. Our claims representatives will actually come set it back up straight for you.
  • Replacement cost if your gnome is stolen or irreparably damaged – up to around $41 dollars, probably.

Get a quote for Garden Gnome Insurance (also known as lawn gnome insurance) today!

Disclaimer: GEICO does not offer garden gnome insurance, obviously. Mostly because it would be ridiculous, and also because it’s April Fool’s Day. But we do have 18 other, very real insurance products on geico.com.  Happy April 1!

7 responses to “GEICO introduces Garden Gnome Insurance: protection for your gnome, sweet gnome

1. Steve says:

Haha too funny.  My friend Ryan told me about UFO insurance awhile ago, I thought he was pulling my leg. I guess not.

2. Harry says:

What are the deductible options?

3. Jon Buchanan says:

What if I had 13? :D

4. Sherry Rasnick says:

Took the April Fool Pop Quiz today and didn’t think I was that gullible, but I guess I am.  The Alien Abduction was a joke, too, right?  Cuz I have a brother-in-law that swears he was abducted.

5. Charlie DeMarco says:

If my gnomes are abducted by aliens is that considered a covered loss? Also, you had mentioned replacement. My gnomes are quite important to me, is there a repair option?

6. Debbie says:

Loved it, I did copy the page, minus the last line of the April fools joke and sent it out. Many many guillible people out there. Thanks for the laugh.

7. Pinecone Entwhistle III says:

Thank you Nathan for shedding light on such an important issue!

Indeed gnomes have a long history of garden appearances – I wonder why it took so long for anyone to realize that insuring their safety is important too! Thank you Geico, for doing such an incredible service to those of us who are so very fond of our gnomes. Obviously I will be taking up policies on every one of my 268 lawn ornaments! Do you extend coverage to lawn flamingoes and tree faces, as well?

Signed,