Memory of the Month: Office Space?

By on August 30, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Each month, we share an image from GEICO’s past and invite you to exercise your caption-writing skills.

If you’ve ever thought you deserved a bigger office, just take a look at this guy. He has all the room in the world, but where? I guess the company had a challenge finding adequate space for the gigantic piece of equipment that is this fellow’s workstation; it looks like he’s literally in a boiler room. And it appears his nearest neighbors might be on another floor of the building.

So what do you think is going on here? (I’m reminded of the movie “Office Space,” in which the Milton Waddams character who’s so attached to his stapler keeps getting moved into smaller, less desirable quarters. Let’s hope they never turned the lights out on this guy.)

30 responses to “Memory of the Month: Office Space?

1. Tom says:

um I requested a corner office 2 months ago um uh. Yeah milton did you get the memo we hired a new associate and where a little short on space right now.. Um uh space ugh Im going to blow this place up.. Oh and milton did you get the pending cancel list????

2. Jason says:

Simple proof that one man pushes buttons to control the entire world, and apparently he works at GEICO.

3. phil says:

This is what happens when the rest of your team gets out of tranistion but you dont.

4. Jessica says:

for some reason this picture makes me think of young frankenstein… could this be Igor in another life

5. Barbara says:

“Let’s see now.  I wonder what will happen if I press this button.  Only one way to find out.”

6. Jennyfer says:

“That’s ok if I am put down there. Little do they know I control the world as simple as a push of a button”

7. Rick says:

Ignore the man behind the curtain

8. Will says:

I have invented something revolutionary! I shall call it the ‘internet’. Now to invent ‘geico.com’

9. Michelle says:

I looked into it more deeply and I found that apparently what happened is that he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him, but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck. – Office Space

10. Ryan says:

“When they told me I’d been promoted to Underwriter, I didn’t realize just how far under I’d be going.”

11. lisa says:

One of the earliest versions of working with Windows.

12. Chris says:

MORE POWER!! CHARGE UP THE DYNAMO NOW!!

13. Melissa says:

“All this and it still takes 5 minutes to load up.”

14. Jo says:

Houston I think we have a problem…..Servers 1 and 2 are both down….

15. Sam says:

Darn!  I could have sworn that the button on the right was for decaf!

16. Steve says:

The Phantom of the Boiler Room . . . .

17. Tom says:

Dress code and Etiqette fo Boiler Room tech. ” Suit and tie required. Hankerchief located in upper left breast pocket. Suit color to be black or dark blue. Hair will be comb neatly parted to left or right not down the middle. no peircing or tatoos tolerated.  shoes must be of Italian variety in black or brown. No hats under any circumstance.

18. Drea says:

Mr. Lumbergh told me to talk to payroll and then payroll told me to talk to Mr. Lumbergh and I still haven’t received my paycheck and he took my stapler and he never brought it back and then they moved my desk to storage room B..

19. Jim says:

GEICO- Ready to insure the first Jetson’s style flying car since 1958.

20. Katie says:

Does anyone know the true circumstances of this picture? Or does it ever get posted?

21. Heidi says:

This might be the oldest Mario Kart game

22. Jennifer A says:

aaahhhh! finally peace and quiet…now where is the on button?

23. John G says:

Us newbies, think that this is what Atlas is like!

24. Tim says:

They always tell you that you do not have to be a rocket scientist. Little do they know this is the only place in the world you do have to be one.

25. Rufus says:

There…..I entered those stupid numbers one more time….. Now to that Silly Locke Character….what did I do with my rifle and jump suit…. (Lost Station with Numbers)

26. Justin says:

ATLAS 1956

27. Daniel Park says:

“Who would have thought that animating a Gecko would require so many pipes.”

28. GoGirl says:

*making puppets with his hands* “So, what are we gonna do tonight, Brain?”

“The same thing we do every night, Pinky – TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD! Or just the Eastern Seabord….”

*”Pinky & the Brain” plays in the background, guy sings*

“They’re Pinky and the Brain, Pinky and the Brain, one is a genius, the other’s insane,
    They’re GEICO specialty mice…. Whose genes have been spliced…. Hmmm, hmm, hmm…. I think I’ll make a Gecko as our mascot….”

And the world was never the same afterward.

29. Krystal says:

And in 1936, the US government decided that the best way to cover up top secret experiments was to start an insurance company to insure their employees. GEICO in the front, secret experiments in the back.

30. Cheyne says:

Nurse, I need an Ergo check list. I have two computer screens 3 feet above my eye level to the left. I dont’ have a rolling chair, and the buttons I push are more than an 8 inch reach. There is no room for a wrist pad, and my clock needs a new battery cause my cell phone does not get a singal at my desk. (UGGH, I can’t check my FB news feeds at my new desk).