The happiness continues with Christopher Columbus and Bodybuilders

By on August 29, 2012 at 6:28 AM

Gallagher looked pretty happy smashing watermelons at a farmers market, but he’s not the only one basking in the glee of improbable situations. A delighted bodybuilder and an overexcited explorer are the latest to join the party in two new GEICO commercials, suggesting yet more ways to enjoy a level of happiness that almost compares to the elation experienced by those who save money switching to GEICO.

We join our bodybuilder in the middle of a busy New York thoroughfare, flexing as drivers wait for their turn to navigate the intersection. All this is done in the name of directing traffic, and the wide grin suggests that he’s more than a little excited at the opportunity to show off his hard work with each point and wave.

And what of our overexcited explorer? It’s Christopher Columbus, of course, sailing the seas in search of new lands. Well, in this case, sailing isn’t quite the appropriate term. Equipped with a trio of speedboats, perhaps “cruising” or “motoring” might be more accurate. Either way, he sure does look happy.

What may be next in the pursuit of happiness? We’ll just have to wait and see.

36 responses to “The happiness continues with Christopher Columbus and Bodybuilders

1. Alisha Tannersby says:

Love Geico’s latest commercials! Keep up the good work. Also, congrats on being named a top 5 insurance brand – saw this on Yahoo News http://news.yahoo.com/good-hands-branding-heardable-research-shows-insurance-carriers-070300264.html

2. David says:

This has to be the dumbest series of commercials I have seen in a long time….

3. Happier than David watching commercials...... says:

@David That has to be the dumbest comment I have seen in a long time…….

4. jenni says:

Considering that Christiopher Columbus enslved and killed many natives, you might as well portay Hitler destroying Israel. There is no difference in the two. This commercial is very disrespectful to Native Americans.

5. Ron Spain says:

These aren’t working, but the one I’ve been hearing on the radio with the gay motorcycle is a serious turn off. And why is Geico always supporting the fascist Clear Channel monopoly? Evil.

6. Joe says:

These commercials are so incredibly annoying, the two guys playing guitar and mandolin, please stop it. As a result of this I will likely beer buy anything geico related, those two guys are very unlikeable.

7. charles says:

Please stop the “happier than” ads, before you embarass GEICO further.  Stick with the GECKO for a winner.

8. Michelle says:

Body builder…thumbs up all the way!  The others, including the guitar and mandolin player, eh, not so much.

9. Wallly says:

My husband and I are Native Americans in Oklahoma. Could you please let us know when your commericial “Happier than Native Americans with uzzies standing on shore to meet Columbus” will air. This ad is so offensive. My husband and I had Geico insurance for years. We don’t anymore.

10. Greg says:

Love dem dere commercials.  Throw this out there…..Happier than a cuss word at a tourettes convention.

11. cnnsucks says:

I love Geico commercials. Lighten up people, laugh, there funny.

12. Laura says:

Dear Geico,

I want to thank you for teaching me that Christopher Columbus freed all of us Native Americans. Granted he did it by killing most of us, but still, I am so grateful for your commercial. The image of Mr. Columbus coming to slaughter us in a speedboat is a gentle reminder of how insignificant we are to your company. Basically you are saying that we could all have been slaughtered a little bit quicker if you had insured some speed boats for CC. What were you thinking?? Please do not feature those who have committed genocide in future ads. Thank you.

13. Mike says:

@CNNsucks: your/you’re(?) grammar is top notch.  There / their / they’re (???)

@Wallly: happy to see you don’t reward ignorant marketing with your hard-earned money.

14. kris says:

Whats the background music from the Christopher Columbus commercial called?

15. Is it really that deep? says:

There are so many more offensive things to worry about. I’m sure the writers and executives at Geico sat around and decided that they wanted to infuriate an entire race of people. That totally happened right? Just like every Columbus day is a direct dig at those of Native American decent. I am 1/8 Blackfoot but I have no issue with the commercial. I thought it was quirky and clever. They didn’t mean he thought “OH YAY! I get to go kill me some indians faster!” I’m pretty sure they were referencing how long it would take to sail across the Atlantic Ocean in 1492. Sometimes you don’t have to dig to deep to find the hidden political agenda because there really isn’t always one to uncover. I just want to know who the guitar player is in the commercials. Sorry for the rant. Have a wonderful day.

16. Uomo Di Carbone says:

I love the Columbus commercial.  But I would really like to know the first work Columbus says.  Please help.  I wold like to recreate the video on the Columbia River.  Ciao a Tutti
    Please Help = Per Favore
    go head = andiamo
    ahead or infront  = avanti

17. Uomo Di Carbone says:

Make that word.

18. Rev. KNA says:

This is a horrific commercial that celebrates European colonial imperialism and genocide.  Shame of Geico for continuing to run this ad.  I will never return to Geico for insurance and I certainly hope you lose customers.

19. John says:

The “Happier Than” commercials would be funnier if it was just a voice over saying …”Happier than..”. The two guys playing instruments just mess up the humor. Mostly because they are not funny guys. They are just guys playing instruments. No offense guys.

20. Jeff says:

Why are some people so inclined to find offense in everything.  Get over it.  Columbus was from a different time and a different mentality.  Let’s learn and move on! Also remember that every race of people has been enslaved, conquered and screwed sometime in history.  Let’s make today better and build a better future.  BTW– I am gay– so I could find offense in a lot of things– but don’t waste my time living with a victim mentality.

21. Randy says:

Who is the guy playing the guitar in the happier than commercials ?

22. chris says:

And what kind of guitar is it that he is playing?

23. Nancy Vreuls says:

Personally, I LOVE the GEICO commercials!

24. Joe says:

He is playing a gretsch historis series guitar.  I have the same guitar with ya triangle cut out.. It’s an amazing guitar and sounds great plugged in

25. john h says:

These guys playing the instruments are dumb, and geico’s commercial’s have gone way down hill. The theme is always varying only slightly, and I miss the cave men and the gecko. Much more original. Glad I dumped geico for their waste of my money on poor pr!

26. Jeff says:

I think that people who sit around and read their own brand of politics into a simple ad for insurance are dumb. nothing to do with your life, maybe if you switched to geico and saved 15% you’d have enough money left over to buy a life!

27. Lee says:

I love the commercials.  the young guy playing the guitar is my favorite.

28. Sarah says:

Props to Geico, I have liked the commercials in the past. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE STOP THE “How Happy?” Campaign! I think it would be incredibly clever if Geico did a “How Happy” ad on superbowl Sunday showing fans watching the game cheering all over the nation and end it with “HOW HAPPY? Happier than 111 million people who just found out that this is the last of the How Happy commercials”

29. John says:

How about … happier than any person in America that has to endure Gieco’s long string of stupid, asinine ads that are everywhere. TV, internet, billboards, postal mail, email … I wish this company would just go away and leave the world in peace.

30. JNM says:

Though I do agree there are perhaps more offensive representations of Native history, that does not excuse this commercial. As a human being, particularly someone who identifies as Native, I’m offended and disgusted. The fact that the writers of this commercial believed it be funny and lighthearted shows the mainstream US’s general ignorance and lack of respect toward Native Nations and peoples. Columbus was not only a terrible person who murdered, tortured and enslaved Natives in his own time, but he also brought about the 500 year + genocide of First Nations peoples that Americans seem to be unable to own up to. So, no, Columbus speeding toward the Americas, laughing maliciously is not funny. It doesn’t matter what was intended in this commercial: the result is deeply insulting.

31. Flicka says:

In what city was the bodybuilder commercial filmed?

32. Greg Marsh says:

@Flicka: That ad was filmed in New York City.

33. Ed says:

The “Happier Than”, ad featuring Paul Revere is a little off the mark.  He never would have said anything about the British coming as he was a British citizen at the time.  He more than likely referred to the newly arriving opposition as “The Redcoats”.  I know it seems trivial, but it bothered me.
    The whole line of “Happier Than,” commercials should be scrapped for many of the reasons mentioned in previous posts.  Some of them are offensive, while the rest are just plain annoying.

34. A>AM says:

New Happier than commercial…Lady steps up in business atire, smiles and gets hit in the face with a boxing glove…falls down.  A guy steps up, smiles and gets his in the face with a boxing glove.  Zoom out to Sugar Ray Leonard wearing boxing gear facing a line of people in an office building.  “Happier than Sugar Ray Leonard offering “Free Corporate Head Shots” at a corporate retreat.  Okay, it is not PC, but would be funny.

35. JLM says:

Good points. I agree with both. I don’t think Columbus was setting out to hurt anyone but find new land. Of course, what to do if you find others when you get there? Anyway, Columbus doesn’t deserve all the blame by any means. I’m part of a group of people who’s issues are overlooked, misunderstood, mistreated. I don’t want to “go there” as to what group but sometimes political correctness gets to be done to the point of incorrectness.

Why are some people so inclined to find offense in everything. Get over it. Columbus was from a different time and a different mentality. Let’s learn and move on! Also remember that every race of people has been enslaved, conquered and screwed sometime in history. Let’s make today better and build a better future. BTW– I am gay– so I could find offense in a lot of things– but don’t waste my time living with a victim mentality.

36. Lin says:

What is the background music used for the Traffic/Bodybuilder commercial? And who performs it?? Thanks.