Best music venues in America: Red Rocks Amphitheatre

By on August 16, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Red Rocks AmphitheatreThis blog series will take a look at the best music venues across the country – from the best acoustics to the most breathtaking scenery.

Located in Morrison, Colo., Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre is one of the most stunning music venues in the world. The impressive summer lineup draws fans from thousands of miles away each concert season.

The Sights

The 300-ft. sandstone rock formations, Ship Rock and Creation Rock, provide acoustic perfection for any performance. The seating capacity is just 9,450, and there isn’t a bad seat in the “house.” In fact, you can see the Denver city lights from the top of the bleachers at night.

Surrounding the amphitheatre is 868 acres of hiking, climbing, wildlife and geological wonders, making Red Rocks the perfect vacation destination.

The Sounds

The earliest rock-and-roll performance at Red Rocks was by The Beatles on Aug. 26, 1964. Legendary acts such as Jimi Hendrix and the Grateful Dead named this one of their favorite places to play. It has been host to every genre of music.

There’s still plenty of time to make the trek to the mountains to catch a show this year. Pretty Lights, Gotye, Mumford and Sons, Wiz Khalifa & Mac Miller, Train, Further, and Peter Gabriel are just some of the acts making their way to “The Rocks” in the next two months.

Want to see more?

Can’t make the trip to Colorado? You can still hear and see what all the fuss is about with full length concert videos from U2, Fleetwood Mac, The Moody Blues, The Dave Matthews Band and many more.

Head over to redrocksonline.com for the complete concert schedule and park activities.

Have you been to Red Rocks? Tell us your story in the comments!

12 responses to “Best music venues in America: Red Rocks Amphitheatre

1. Tom says:

LIke LIke Like.  Tailgating is allowed and encouraged.  Golden is the closest place to lodge

2. carol says:

Not only have I been to Red Rocks but I was an event manager that managed concerts there.  I think my best memory was James Taylor.  He was singing one of the most romantic songs and we had a red moon.  I still get goosebumps!

3. Tom says:

Your a very lucky person Carol!!! You probably saw many shows there. Im shy to admit it but I love James Taylor.  Ive always heard that the Red Rocks James Taylor show was legendary.

4. the_phishery says:

Phish has played there on a couple occasions as well. When and if they go back I will go see them play there. Going to Denver this weekend (I live in ny) to see Phish however they are just playing at Dick’s Sportings Good’s Field in Commerce City Colorado. Will go to Rocky Mountain National Park during my stay. Cannot wait to see beautiful Colorado. Great Blog Idea if you need suggestions I have been all over the country and can give you a few.

5. Greg Marsh says:

Like where, phishery?

6. Tom says:

Phishery I think your trip to rocky mountain park will fill your needs. The little town of Grand on the other side of the park Is fun Its attached to Grand lake. Hike The creek that fills the lake. Boulder mall wouldnt be a bad place to hang out. Its a outdoormall and a colledge town.

7. the_phishery says:

Greg- I think I have most of them

NY Saratoga Performance Arts Center, Jones Beach, Madison Square Garden, Shea Stadium (closed down), Times Union (albany ny formerly the Pepsi Arena and The “Knick”), Oswego Air Force Base, Watkins Glen, Shea Stadium (closed down). Nassau Collesum, Best Buy Theater, The Beacon

NJ- PNC in Homdel, and The Susquehanna Bank Center in Camden, Giants Stadium (closed down)..Going to MetLife Stadium to see Springsteen later this month,
    Pennsyvlania Hershey Park Stadium
    Vermont- Coventry
    Maine- Loring Air Force Base
    New Hampshire- Verizon Wireless Amp.
    Rhode Island-Providence Cicic Center (now called Dunkin donuts)
    Conn.-Comcast Theater
    Mass-Comcast Center
    Maryland- Merriweather Post Pavillion-I believe GEICO is a corporate sponser :)
    North Carolina- Verizon Amphitheater
    Georgia- Verizon Amphitheater and Aarons Amphitheater
    Alabama- Oak Mountain Amphitheater
    Colorado Dicks Sporting Goods
    Nevada- Thomas Mack Arena
    California-  The Forum in Inglewood
    Ohio- Cuyohoga Falls and Riverfront Amphitheater

8. the_phishery says:

Tom just back from Rocky Mountain we cut through the town of Lyons-We hiked Lawn Lake went up old falls road and went down going trail ridge road, Did Milner pass(continetnal divide) it was extraoridnary and I reccomend everyone reading to do it at least once in their lifetime. I think the highest elevation we were at was the Alpine Visors Center approx 12,000 feet.

9. Tom says:

Im putting lawn lake on my list.  I had to miss the St louis show. Looked on you tube and it looked amazing. I got the feeling these are goodtimes for Phish.  I heard a Limb by Limb from St louis on Sirius sounded excellent.

10. carol says:

Glad you mentioned Rocky Mountain National Park– you could spend a year there and not hike all the trails.  I’m going back to Colorado in October– my daughter is getting married in Estes Park, gateway to RMNP.  To add to above posts, RMNP closes Labor Day so if you’re going don’t be disappointed, that high up they’ll be getting snow if not already soon.  Some of those peaks don’t loose their snow mass during summer.

11. the_phishery says:

Tom Suppoesdly the best limb by limb of all time have yet to hear it though!

12. Tom says: