GEICO makes me happier than …

By on July 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Here at GEICO, we hear stories every day about people who have switched to GEICO; they love to share how much they saved via Facebook and Twitter. That got us thinking: sure, switching to GEICO could make people pretty happy, but how happy?

That’s the question we’re hoping to answer with a new set of commercials that have already started showing up on your TV. We’re calling it “Happier Than …” It’s a way to bring some happiness to your TV screen and let you know just how happy you could be by switching to GEICO.

Our first commercial here stars the famous Gallagher – you know, the one who hits watermelons with a huge mallet. In answering the question, “How happy are people who switch to GEICO,” we hear the first of many responses: happier than Gallagher at a farmers market. What other source of happiness will appear? You’ll see many more soon, but one involves a famous explorer of the new world.

So, what does GEICO make you happier than? Let us know on Facebook, Twitter, or right here in the comments.

112 responses to “GEICO makes me happier than …

1. Big Bob says:

The person in the video is a Gallagher, but it is his brother! His brother does the same show his brother made famous. They look simular, but this is definently his brother… I believe the original Gallagher either didn’t want to do the comercial or was still too sick to do it.

2. glynese says:

I think doing commercials are very hard to do but wasting good food is such a tasteless act. How can you show food being wasted when so many have none to eat.? In the commercial it was even acknowledge that is wasterful.. you have put allot of thoughts in your other commercials but sad to say you where all sleeping at work when you had this commercial broadcasted.  One more nail to hit the Americans as being not caring because a few had a lapse of judgment.

3. Sweetcarolina says:

Hi.. Love the commercial, but was wondering what is the name of the bluegrass song. I know I’ve heard it before but can’t put a nail on it. I have been humming it all day!
    Help!

4. greysanford says:

@glynese, you need to settle down!

5. Kraig says:

Geico makes me happyer then a pig in a blanket.

6. Kenneth says:

Geico makes me happier than… racing slot cars with old buddies! WOO WHOOO

7. Rodriguez says:

I don’t appreciate how Geico makes farmer’s market customers out to be, like , weirdos or something for caring about the quality of their produce. The male character, customer asking if the cauliflower having a large carbon footprint is just making fun of eco conscious , real food conscious, people and I don’t appreciate it.

8. john smith says:

I have no idea who that person is? Gallagher googled brings  me to geico.

Who the hell is gallagher?

9. Greg Marsh says:

@john smith: Gallagher is a comedian whose routine is pretty much built on smashing watermelons.

10. Randy says:

The bluegrass riff sounds like the song Steve Martin used to play when he said “you can sing about anything no matter what, and with a banjo accompaniment it will sound happy”

11. Kim says:

12. Twombly says:

I enjoyed the previous campaign (theme park, pet possum, esp. the rescue panther) so much that I considered getting a Geico quote when my car insurance renews, but the Gallagher watermelon smashing commercial is so viscerally disturbing that I will forever associate the Geico brand with my adverse reaction. Every time I see the ad on Hulu (which is really often), I cringe. Sure, there are commercials I find annoying, but I’ve never felt strongly enough about an ad to take the time to post feedback. I can only hope that you roll out the next campaign quickly.

13. MrEd3000 says:

For anyone concerned about GEICO wasting watermelons for their Gallagher commercial, watch closey.  I see Gallagher swing a sledge hammer but the “watermelon” that he supposedly smashes is hidden.  That stood out to me the second time I saw it and I thought,”Wow! GEICO wanted to make sure that they didn’t waste real food”  Maybe there are other versions but on the ones I saw I never really see a real watermelon being smashed – just red stuff flying”

14. Bubba says:

Awww, I am really crying for you. Can I get you a tampon and a tissue so you can cry on another person that care’s shoulder? Because I don’t.

15. The Sport says:

Come On All You People, It’s Just A Commercial! Lighten Up!  Geico Makes Me “Happier Than A One Legged Man In A Sack Race” Or Just As Happy As A “One Armed Wallpaper Hanger”!

16. bugseye says:

These GEICO commercials make me…Happier than a tow truck driver at a demolition derby.

My faves:
    Bodybuilder
    Christopher Columbus
    Ronnie & Jimmy

Nice campaign guys.

17. lissanicole says:

It’s a guy smashing watermelons….not people, not animals….get over yourselves! You never had any type of food wasting fun?  Food fight?  Rice at a wedding?  Or possibly wedding cake shoved up a groom and brides noses? Really? Even if you don”t know who Gsllagher is, it’s still funny.  Yes, people are hungry. Somewhere, at anytime on Earth, that will be.  This is supposed to be a little bit of humor…put on a smile.  This commercial made me happy….almost as happy as throwing sour grapes at sour people!!

18. K says:

Ok, everyone on here who can’t see the humor in this, is plain stupid. Seriously? You’re all worried about some watermelons? Do you know how many just sit in fields never used .. Watermelons grow like crazy when left to do so. And offense at how the couple is portrayed? Are you kidding me? Does anyone have a sense of humor anymore or does everyone take offense at EVERYTHING? Dear people: Grow up and get a sense of humor and stop thinking everything is so wrong.. Wow..

19. Ralph Brannan says:

Geico customers are, “Happier than a termite in a lumber yard.”

20. Red Byrdie says:

Geico  customers are happier than Kim K in an NBA locker-room!

21. Kurt says:

Geico customers are happier than Phil Robertson, and that’s HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.

22. Andrew says:

My 11 year old son, Andrew, hoped you would have a blog about this. He wanted me to tell you that Geico makes him happier than a “History Teacher with a Time Machine”. He even has the whole commercial planned out for you. I thought that was too cute not to share! :)

23. Dennis Graves says:

I wonder if the couple whose clothes were ruin with melon juice filed a claim with Geico? Stupid commercial. I’d never heard of the guy and his “famous” watermelon routine, which is also stupid. Stick with the lizard. He makes me happy.

24. Andrew C. says:

I feel using “Gallagher” is a very odd choice for such an innovative company. He is well known for his extreme right-wing views and homophobia (Google him and see what comes up). Does Geico share these same views and values?

25. Jeff says:

I grew up in Traverse City – a small town in northwest Michigan. I recall many family trips to Gallagher’s Farmers Market.  Google GALLAGHER’S FARMERS MARKET and check it out for yourself.

26. swimmergirl says:

I’m “happier than a ventriloquist playing marco-pollo”

27. Sean Smith says:

Andrew C., I think it’s not funny how Geico caves to paranoid groups of people that think everything is a conspiracy, that everyone is out to get them, that everyone thinks they’re weird because they are different.

The truth is, people like yourself are intolerant of anyone who doesn’t look or act like you. Who don’t see the world as you do. The very ones that demand tolerance are actually intolerant of others and their views!

Relax baby, be a lover not a hater! Everything gonna be ok. All y’all giddy-ups need to show more tolerance.

Why don’t you all start–everyone start– showing you’re acceptance of tolerance and an ability to laugh at yourselves and each other by petitioning Geico to bring back the original commercial. For truth, justice and the American way!!

28. matt says:

what is the name of the song at the end? i aspire to learn it on mandolin

29. EdL says:

I think GEICO customers are happier than a ventriloquist in a mortuary.
    Creepy? Perhaps.  Hilarious?  Definitely.

BTW, I really like the History teacher with a time machine idea mentioned above.

30. Ashley Giorgi says:

I love these commercials. I have an idea if you are interested. “Happier than a vampire at a blood drive.”

31. Josh says:

Happier than Santa Claus with a private jet! Happier than an (AFLAC) goose in a flood!

32. Shar says:

Is the blond guy with the beard the brother off of American Chopper??

33. Rick says:

Geico makes me happier than a toad at a pincess convention

34. frankie ray says:

Geico makes me happier than an out of work  homeless guy  at a maltunctioning  ATM machine

35. Cora says:

My favourite is “Happier than a witch in a broom factory” though the “happier than a body builder directing traffic” slays me too. I have no idea who the gallagher guy is so, that one’s lost on me.

Happier than a toad at a princess convention! that’s a good one!

Happier than a vampire at a blood drive…I actually laughed out loud at that one!

Happier than a worm at a bookstore :-)

36. Stephanie says:

These is a great series of commercials – very creative.
    Love the aforementioned ideas of toad/princess, history teacher/time machine, vampire/blood drive, and worm/bookstore.
    Great job on some new ad material!

37. John says:

You need one, pigs mucking around in well, youve seen hog pens, then Ronnie and Jimmy’s dialogue could go like this: You know Ronnie, people who switched to GEICO sure are happy. How happy are they Jimmy? Happier than a pig in (Interrupting) I-i-i-i-i think they get it.
    aaaaand cue the mandolin…

38. Rick says:

happier than Burt Reynolds, at a toupee factory

39. Rick says:

happier than bill clinton,when hillary is on the road

40. Bob says:

Happier than my kids babysitter when I drive her home.

41. matt says:

anybody know where one can find music to that song they play?
    specifically for the mandolin

42. Greg Marsh says:

@matt: I don’t know what the music’s called, but I do know you can get it as a ringtone here: http://www.myxer.com/get/item/23234862

43. Shep says:

Grow up! It’s funny. You sound like my aunt who wanted Superman taken off the air because one dumb kid tied a bed sheet around his neck and jumped out a window! By the way, take some spelling lessons!The actions in the preants of any injurous damages dont care how busy people are with their careers just because they have to neglect the actions in the ad should be accountable for.For any injurous damages dont care how busy people are with their children.The actions in the ad should be accountable for any child that emulates the preants of.The needs of their careers just because they want it isnt good idea to air such commercial because of their children.

44. Shep says:

I have an idea for a new ” happy as ” commercial. The Hebrews are at the shore of the Red sea. Pharaoh’s chariots are speeding towards them. Moses spreads his arms and the Red sea parts. The Hebrews run across with Pharaoh’s troops in hot pursuit.Of course the Hebrews make it and Red sea crashes back together.They all look around saying ” Where’s Moses?” Then, here comes Moses ” hangin’ ten.”      Cut to the two guitar players–” How happy are people who switch to GEICO?”– Happier than Moses on a surf board!”— ”Nice!”     Hey, if you use it—how about a kick back?   Thanx.     Shep.

45. Shep says:

My wife says ” Happier than a flatulent man a crowded car!”

46. Shep says:

I have another ”happy as ” idea. An auto mechanic answers the phone—” Alliance auto repair”—yes sir! Your car will be done well ahead of schedule!—Your welcome,my pleasure!”  He hangs up. The camera pans over to R2-D2 repairing a car.  Cut to the 2 guitar players—”How happy are people who switch to GEICO?”—-”Happier than the auto repair shop that hired R2-D2!”—”Nice!”  Thanx.   Shep.   kick back?

47. Abigail says:

Now that I have finally looked up Gallagher… this ad makes more sense!

The other ads are better.

48. Rphil205 says:

How can anyone be happy seeing that fool running around knocking things down?!

49. Scott says:

I hate this so much.

50. joe z says:

Hey Shep moses on a surfboard, fantastic!!  heres one, a retired woman scowling at her friend says il take that bet! the other woman, good your on! they grab the alarms hanging around there necks the first woman says on three 123 they mash the button sit back and start giving each other the in your face looks. time laps three min, the sirens can be heard coming they start to diss each other about whos getting there first, both ambulances scream around poisite corners and slam head on right in front of the house. the two old women totaly stoked by the site hoot and high five each other from there rockers.   Happer than two old friends with life alert.