Memory of the Month: Clowning around

By on June 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Each month, we share an image from GEICO’s past and invite you to exercise your caption-writing skills.

In honor of Washington Nationals rookie phenom Bryce Harper, here is this month’s blast from GEICO’s past. Harper, who’s only 19, recently offered this response when a reporter asked him to name his favorite beer: “That’s a clown question, bro.”

I’m a big Harper fan, so I thought the time was right to publish this photo, which I have to assume was shot on Halloween – an event that some of our associates take VERY seriously. We do have a few clowns working at GEICO, like any other company does, but most days it’s not this easy to spot them.

So, with a nod to Harper, I have a few clown questions of my own about this photo. What should these clowns’ names be? Why do the women in the background seem so oblivious to the presence of clowns in their midst? What else about this picture suggests baseball?

If you have an answer to any or all of these questions, please share it in the comments.

14 responses to “Memory of the Month: Clowning around

1. shari says:

re: baseball reference-check out the Cracker Jacks!

2. Jim says:

It’s the annual “Am I pretty, Mommy?” contest
    Really, it was “excessively big polka dot tie day” and the tie didn’t look right without a striped shirt.  And the shirt didn’t look right without the hat.  The hat didn’t look right without the curly hair.
    The two in the back: “Oh, i like your costume too!  The hair looks really good.”  “What costume?”

3. Michelle says:

Macon Office in June:
    Ladies in the back: “Well, it is time to send out some dress code reminders. Good thing they are getting a picture – no one would believe what they wore to work today.”

4. tom says:

The ladie in the rear appears to be wearing a see through Mu Mu,  BRO.

5. Norm says:

I’d make a snide comment, but the clown in the black shirt scares the bejesus outta me.

6. Barry says:

“Here, we show a photo of two MLB Umpires at a conference…”

7. mary says:

ladies in the back ,one lady is asking the other lady what is geico saying while holding the new updates in hand. the baseball is crackerjacks in clowns hands, the clowns name should be bo and flo and to sum it all up what is really going on is not halloween but the second clown is saying to the first one I told you if we dressed like this no one would ever notice here. or perhaps the second one is smiling so big and saying to the first clown keep walking before someone i know see’s me dressed like this .

8. chuck says:

well, i see we have our illustrious mail team roaming the floor, providing the humor and laughter we all need.  i think today it’s clow and ning… so clowning around is passing a few bits of mail and a bit of cheer… now these clowns, are using polka dots to represent baseballs and they have many of them but unable to pass them around.  i think we might have to send them to umpire school to discuss the use of baseballs in true form.

9. Jeanne says:

Two associates chat while they wait their turn for their clown makeover in the new Marketing Theme – “So easy, even a clown can do it!”

10. GoGirl says:

Lady in the back 1: Did you see the new fashions from GEICO’s web store?

Lady in the back 2: No, but I have today. Stripes with dots? Really?

Clown 1: I LOVE MY GECKO!

Clown 2: Little do they know, that in my case, we clowns shall do what no other GEICO employee has been able to – MAKE THE OFFICE WORKERS LAUGH! BWAHHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

“GEICO: We’re not clowning around about saving you money!”

11. Steve says:

As a precursor to Casual Fridays, Clown Fridays was a dismal failure.

Regarding Greg’s question about a baseball connection, it could be that the clowns are modelling home (light-colored jacket) and away (dark jacket) outfits.

12. scott says:

Kill Kill Kill i hate this bow tie

13. Cassady says:

I can totally see how that cepery clown scared you. I hate them too. The picture looks like it was taken from pretty far away though, so maybe Mr. Man is a little frightened as well!

14. ADAM says:

no matter how long you look at this picture, that first clown just starts looking creepier and creepier and creepier!