Spring means time for cleaning … your car

By on April 17, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Posted in: Safety and Insurance Issues

I confess: sometimes, I use my car for storage. I would store five pairs of shoes, three sweaters, two coats, a few bottles of water and, yes, a box of Cheez-Its. Last week, I found my long-lost tote bag in the trunk of my car. That’s when I realized that it’s time to do some serious spring cleaning.

Although it’s always great to have what you need when you need it, having a pile of clutter in your car can pose serious threats. For one thing, all that junk can be a distraction to the driver. And car thieves love walking the streets and looking for valuables they can easily take from a car. Heck, these items don’t even have to be particularly valuable to attract thieves; a friend of mine had a bag of leftovers on her passenger seat, and someone smashed her window, broke into her car … and took just her leftovers!

Fortunately, I haven’t been a victim of any car burglary, but why should I give a reason for thieves to break into my car?

So, while you’re in your spring-cleaning state of mind, take the time to clean out your car this season. Whether you get the car detailed or clean it yourself, be sure to determine what you really need in your vehicle and how to keep it out of sight.

6 responses to “Spring means time for cleaning … your car

1. tom says:

What to say about this I dont know except maybe look into a couple roach motels!

2. Crystal J. says:

Sounds like it’s time to get to your local do-it-yourself car wash & hit the trash cans & vacuum cleaners! Seriously, I’m bad about this, too – my poor car winds up being used as a garbage can for me and my friends. It’s more important to keep your car clean, not just for safety, but for your self-image, too. People who see a dirty car think you have no pride in your accomplishments, because if you trash your car, you obviously don’t care about the work that went into getting it, right?

Bring on the air freshener!

3. brian says:

THE GEICO BLOG IS OFF THE CHAIN

4. tom says:

FO SCHIZZE BRIAN

5. Jason says:

I have a new TV show idea…. Hoarders : Vehicle Destruction

6. Peter Cena says:

Cleaning is one of the important factor to live life happily and disease free, and for that you have to keep your surroundings clean. There are lots of places generally forget by us like car, carpets, windows where cleaning is needed but avoided by all, it is important to keep these things clean. I like this blog because it aware everyone regarding car cleaning which is generally neglected by all.