Savings never tasted so good

By on April 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM

“Is this your first car insurance taste test?” asks the host of what is indeed the world’s first car insurance taste test, the newest series of GEICO commercials. The spots pit the sweet taste of GEICO’s savings and service against the harsh tang of its competitors, the latter generating a variety of surprising reactions. The hope is that you, too, can avoid bad car insurance face.

You can see all five taste tests right now on GEICO’s YouTube page. Which one is your favorite?

72 responses to “Savings never tasted so good

1. Laurie Kryceski says:

I just purchased Geico and I am very happy on how much money I will be saving. My prior insurance company was highway robbery. I am glad I finally got Geico. I love you Geico you really do have the cheapest rates around. Thank you.
     Laurie Kryceski

2. Kurt Wells says:

I’ve been a Geico customer for several years now and I just wanted to comment on the current taste test commercial. There is not even a hint of creativity in this commercial. It is simply the stupidest, dumbest, most ignorant commercial I have ever seen. It seriously makes me consider the intelligence and the ability of Geico to make reasonable decisions in the management of the company. Anyone with a brain should have nixed this commercial at the very beginning.

3. Hmph says:

That was not a very polite remark Mr. Wells.

4. ... says:

I will have to agree with Hmph. No they are not the best commercials that Geico has marketed but whether it’s good or bad publicity, the commercials are getting noticed. Regardless Mr. Wells I am sure that Geico has appreciated your business after all these years!

5. Babs says:

Well said, hmph and …, I could not agree more! Though I do find many commercials for several different products on the abrasive side, it is the mildly irritating ones that stand out in my memory. Therefore, perhaps GEICO actually has very intelligent, if not genius employees that make up their marketing/advertising team.

6. Is_It_Pee? says:

After seeing this series of commercials, I switched to Geico just so I could call back and cancel.

7. John Pace says:

I wanted to comment on the current taste test commercial also. What does car insurance have to do with drinking cool aid. I would have to agree with Kurt. It is simply the stupidest, dumbest, most ignorant commercial I have ever seen. It seriously makes me consider the intelligence and the ability of Geico to make reasonable decisions in the management of the company. Anyone with a brain should have nixed this commercial at the very beginning.

8. Katherine says:

I find these commercials offensive as a Geico customer. I agree that there was a massive mistake in judgment in deciding to air these commercials. Please stop playing them.

9. Julie says:

“This is the worst non-sequitor, not funny. I have e-mailed twice to inform management they have erred in their judgement. I will never insure with this company. I find they lack good judgement. This probably carries over to the business. Shame on you. Shame for subjecting an un-witting elderly couple. Double shame for causing a pregnant woman to have such a strong reaction, it is so repugnant and reviling. Mr. Nicely, as Mr. Trump would say, YOU’RE FIRED.”

You realize they are actors, right?  If not, that is kind of sad.

10. Bob Cantor says:

I will never purchase Geico because of this taste commercial. It obviously is not related to insurance whatsoever, and how can I trust a company who wants to call all the “other” competing companies a bad cup of an unknown substance?
    Why are your rates lower? What can you do to provide me with more peace of mind knowing that my car is insured by the best in the country? These questions go unanswered and I have no desire to research anything about Geico. STOP THESE COMMERCIALS.

11. Al says:

Well Julie,

If you would bother to READ the article to which you are commenting,
    you may discover these are not actors. So states Mr. Andrew Kauz,
    ” While the host’s relaxed demeanor brings about its own subtle comedy, the real stars here are the unwitting participants, who were served a variety of unpleasant (but safe) drinks to bring about the desired responses. In fact, the production team had to seek out new concoctions partway through shooting to make sure the gross-out moments were strong enough.”

12. Crystal J says:

Well Julie,
    If you would bother to READ the article to which you are commenting, you may discover these are not actors. So states Mr. Andrew Kauz, “ While the host’s relaxed demeanor brings about its own subtle comedy, the real stars here are the unwitting participants, who were served a variety of unpleasant (but safe) drinks to bring about the desired responses. In fact, the production team had to seek out new concoctions partway through shooting to make sure the gross-out moments were strong enough.” I want to know who decided it was “safe”? Was it tested by an independent lab? Was it tested on pregnant women? Weren’t you in fact serving an adulterated beverage to an unwitting public? This was a bad business decision. Tony Nicely bears full responsibility and should be removed. Mr. Nicely, YOU’RE FIRED. Shame on you.
     Really? You think that ANY company doesn’t hire actors? Really? Ugh. I hate it when people can’t take a joke. 8-/

Lighten up a little, people. Laugh a little!

13. Judi says:

This has got to be the STUPIDEST commercial I’ve seen.  It’s not creative, it makes no sense and its not even remotely funny no matter HOW you look at it.  I can’t change the channel fast enough when these commercials come on….please get rid of them.  They make me think Geico customers are idiots.

14. Mgr says:

i will no longer buy television service that broadcast commercials, now will i ever use Geico insurance thanks to this commercial. Aswell i now have many more reasons to finish my Thermal Nuclear Conductor, that i will plan to set in a major city in the U.S. or a state capital of a Random importance because things like this should not be indentured by any individual, let alone so called unexpected civilians……BULL ******* ****.   the liberal media will burn in a never ending fire when my race takes over this planet. Niburi is upon us,   in the following months those enlightened people of earth will rise together to fight for the just cause or kill all of each other.

15. Bob Cantor says:

I wasnt gonna go that far now…dude…come one it’s definitely a crappy commercial and we agree to boycott Geico for it, but to finish your Thermal Nuclear Conductor? That seems a bit much…

Why a major city in the U.S.? Why a state capital of random importance?
    Do think devastating these places would have a massive impact on the way television broadcast companies operating in the U.S? I think not…. So your either disguising your true hatred for America through blaming “liberal media” or…you are just exaggerating your opposition to Geico car insurance.
    Either way I think some response to my response would be a continuation of my entertainment.

-Bob

16. baffled says:

aside from Julie, babs, hmph, …, and Crystal, everyone who has commented on this thing is some kind of crazy. I have never in my life seen people get so worked up over something so ridiculous. If you dont like GEICO so much, why on earth are you spending your time perusing their website and wasting your energy complaining about a silly commercial? If you dont like it, turn the channel, that is the beauty of a remote control. And to question the safety of the concoctions they are drinking? Wow, as if a company this large would risk endangering someone, heelllooo law suit- I dont think so. You want to see a really annoying commercial? Go back to circa 1990s/early 2000s and watch those awful dancing baby commercials. I boycott all of you, and would highly reccomend a high dose perscription of xanax asap.

17. Fetus says:

I wish I could find another insurance company – this taste test commercial is so stupid.

18. Rose says:

My husband and I love the Gecko!! Please, please, pull the taste test commercial.  It was not a wise marketing choice to go with such a stupid idea. We are really disapointed! The pig was bad enough!!!!

19. B-raditt-many says:

I didn’t realize people were so bored that they had to whine and complain about commercials! We love these commercials. All these people were advised and signed some sort of release form and were paid I’m sure. Find something else to nag about. Global warming, crime rates you know something time worthy!

20. Scott says:

It’s pretty when your company sucks so hard that it must rely on name-calling as an attempt to draw in customers. This commercial provides no reason to switch to Geico other than other insurance agencies ‘taste’ bad. I hope this isn’t a sign of where commericals are heading to; they are bad enough as it is.

21. Ron in Athens says:

Stupidest commercal(s) ever….no, wait, the cavemen were the….no, really this is the worst…

22. Texas girl says:

You have usually had some of the best commercials. The cavemen were fun. The gecko is cute.

The taste-test commercials are a total failure. I turn the channel when they are on because I find them that obnoxious. Your ad company has bilked you out of money this time.

Find a new company and get something else. Or re-run the oldest cavemen, make it a “remember when” or something. Just ditch the current ad campaign. PLEASE!

23. James says:

Mr Wells hit the nail on the head this commercial is and embarassment to intellegent humans and if you disagree then your a dumbass human and need to find a planet where stupidity is normal.

24. Alize says:

I guess I’m a stupid alien because I don’t see anything wrong the commercials. I mean dont get me wrong they’re not the best but its not as bad as everyones making it. As far as name calling Geico never does that. The other insurance companies commercials call other companies out by name… Lighten up guys.

25. Hypocrisy says:

The commercial exhibits basic marketing techniques and thought process.  Some people will appreciate it, but the majority of viewers will COMPLAIN!!!

At least the marketers are attempting to please the masses by the means of their JOB.  All the opposing comments, even the harsher ones, probably come from those too lazy to do something useful with their time.  WAY TO LIVE THE AMERICAN DREAM.

Leo & Lillian Goodwin worked hard to start GEICO, and put more energy and effort into  the company than you all will in 5 lifetimes.

You’re all fired.  Get out of this country.

(this is directed to all the negative comments)

26. WOW says:

Please stop running your horrible commercials. What a joke. I can’t even believe that with a company as large as yours none of your employees have brought this up. I understand that its supposed to be “humerous” but it’s not. It’s horribly stupid and makes me want to smack the person who came up with such a moronic idea for an insurance company’s commercial. And it’s not just the “taste test” either. The pig screaming “WHEEE” at the top of his lungs is just as stupid if not worse. In my opinion you would be better off filling your 30 second time slot with the word gieco written on the screen and complete silence. These commercials alone would make me think twice about doing buisness with you. Maybe it’s just me but the fact that these commercials even make it on the air in the first place confirms my notion that the worlds collective IQ is dropping at an exponential rate. /rant

27. Genius says:

I think that GEICO’s marketing team are GENIUSES – you know why?

Because GEICO’s commercials make people TALK and POST comments online, which in part SPREADS the WORD (many GOOD, some BAD – and that’s ok!) about GEICO to MANY PEOPLE.  SO, when people think about SAVING money on auto insurance, GEICO’s name WILL come UP and THEY will CALL.

Genius!

28. Accidentie says:

Why not use 2 Gekos take the test?

29. Sr Citizen says:

The taste test commercial is just stupid!

30. Andrew says:

You’ve made some really great commercials, but these aren’t them. I hope you switch to a different strategy soon.

31. Jim says:

Um…you used the wrong form of “your”.  Smart guy.

32. Lanny H says:

Right on Kurt they need to bring back the Gecko…

33. Lanny H says:

Right on Kurt they need to bring back the Gecko…

34. JAMES says:

SO I USED “YOUR” INSTEAD OF USING “YOU’RE” IN MAY 2 CENTS WORTH HOWEVER IT IS STILL FAR MORE INTELLIGENT THAN THE STUPIDITY THAT THESE COMMERICALS HAVE. THE PIG COMMERICIALS WERE BAD ENOUGH BUT THESE ARE OFF THE CHART STUPID

JAMES

35. JAMES says:

I think that GEICO’s marketing team are GENIUSES – you know why?
    Because GEICO’s commercials make people TALK and POST comments online, which in part SPREADS the WORD (many GOOD, some BAD – and that’s ok!) about GEICO to MANY PEOPLE. SO, when people think about SAVING money on auto insurance, GEICO’s name WILL come UP and THEY will CALL.
    Genius!
    WELL NO OFFENSE TO YOU BUT I WOULD NOT CARE IF THE INSURANCE SAVING WAS 10,000 DOLLARS A YEAR I WOULD NEVER CALL THEM DUE TO THE SIMPLE FACT I NO INTENTION TO DEAL WITH A COMPANY THAT SO SUCH STUPIDITY. AND YEAH EVERYONE DOES HAVE COMMENTS SOME ARE INTELLIGENT AND SOME ARE NOT. HOWEVER I FIND THESE COMMERCIALS TO BE AN INSULT TO ALL. SIMPLY BECAUSE THE IDEA FOR THE COMMERCIAL WAS THOUGHT UP BY A HUMAN IS AN INSULT TO THE ENTIRE RACE.

36. JAMES says:

THE USE OF THE cliché THAT AN SOMETHING LIKE AN INSURANCE COMPANY HAS “LEFT A BAD TASTE IN YOUR MOUTH” IS NOT AT ALL A BAD MARKETING IDEA. HOWEVER THE EXECUSSION THAT GEICO HAS EMPLOYED IS HORRIBLE.  AND PERSONALLY I HOPE THEY SUFFER MONUMENTALLY FOR SUCH POOR DECISION MAKING. HAD THEY BEEN CREATIVE AND MADE THE COMMERCIAL MORE INTELLIGENT AND NOT LIKE IT WAS THOUGHT UP BY ABSENT MINDED FOOLS THEN I WOULD NEVER EVEN LOOKED FOR A BLOG ABOUT IT. BUT THE SIMPLE FACT THAT THEY DID RUN SUCH A COMMERCIAL JUST LIKE THE REST OF YOU I HAD TO GIVE MY 2 CENTS WORTH.

THIS WILL BE MY LAST POST.

JAMES

37. Melody says:

Although I have to admit you have come up with some really cute commercials in the past…Lately your ad execs are obtaining straight F’s across the board in their creativity department.  Quite a few of your ads have absolutely nothing to do with insurance of any kind and often leave me wondering if the Service and Quality of Insurance is just as lacking!!!!  You had a good thing going with use of the squirrels and the Gecko….If not broken stop trying to fix it!!!

38. Ralph says:

I agree with everyone who thinks this is a senseless, meaningless, commercial having nothing constructive to say about insurance or anything else.

39. Dawn says:

I have GEICO insurance and I think this is THE dumbest commercial for insurance I have ever seen. Please, please get rid of this. I turn the volume off every time it comes on. Sometimes I change the channel. This is absolutely ridiculous. If I was shopping for insuance, I would never buy it from this company.

40. dthomas says:

I have GEICO insurance and have had since i was 16 and i am now 28. There is nothing wrong with their insurance product or service. Commercials are just that, commercials. They are used to entertain or to sell a product, whether boring, funny, serious or not they are there to advertise something. All of the negative comments made are peoples opinions but show how well the advertising company has done to sell “GEICO” any publicity is pubilicity, whether good or bad. If someone would switch from a company because of a TV commercial then they have some underlying issues. Im sure people are concerned how their money is spent but look at other commercials from other companies, there will always be liked and disliked commercials, its a metter of opinion

41. Mike says:

In a world full of stupid commercials, this one stands out as the absolute worst piece of garbage.  It is so idiotic and nonsensical that I initially assumed there had to be some deeper hidden meaning to it that I was simply missing.

Unfortunately not, it’s just terrible.   I’m fairly certain I’ve never Googled information about a commercial before, let alone taken the time to post my feedback on a forum – a true indication of how miserable I think this 30 second waste of airspace is.

42. Alex says:

Good insurance, bad commercial. I question the company that actually paid to have this commercial made. You would have better PR if you just focused on the Geico lizard and the fake twilight zone guy. Seriously, it isn’t even clever or catchy. At least Allstate commercials makes sense, and who doesn’t like that voice.

43. kablpn says:

OMG the taste test commercial is too stupid to even watch.  I immediately change the channel when it comes on.  I don’t care how cheap your insurance is, i would never switch.  Only because it has to be the stupidest thing i have ever seen.  Please, do us all a favor and pull those commercials.

44. Scott says:

Jjst when you thought you could not come up with a more STUPID commercial, you come up with a car insurance taste test. It is bad enough we have to suffer through your stupid little lizard with a british accent commercials, you pick something like this?

That alone is enough for me to never contact you about car insurance.

45. Paula says:

Are you people serious? What kind of lives do you lead? Honestly? These commercials obviously weren’t designed to draw in customers. They’re just supposed to be funny, and keep their name out there (in case you’ve been living in Antarctica and don’t know what GEICO is). I think they’re hilarious.

As for their safety: I’m thinking that they used something light and fruity for the GEICO drink, and some of that bacon-flavored novelty soda, and other varieties, for the “other” company. I’m certain the drinks used are in fact food products, and so there should be no question as to their safety. What did you think? That they were giving them drain cleaner? Nail polish remover? Dish detergent?

Lighten up, smarten up, and grow up.

46. Tristan says:

Television ads are almost always meant to draw in new business. Maintaining current business lines generally falls elsewhere within a marketing strategy. These taste-test ads are meant to be funny, but fall sort.

The question is, should we expect better from GEICO? They’ve always been schizophrenic with their advertising. The Gecko was funny, in the 90s. The first Caveman ad, had some humor. The best strategy they had in a while was “rhetorical question” series, until someone decided “the little pig saying wee” was the best thing ever and started making ads focusing on only the pig.

Bear in mind that GEICO spends millions of dollars a year on ads generated by the premiums we insurers pay into the pool. So as their clients, we have some say in the ads they run. If these taste-test ads offend you, leave GEICO. Chances are you can get a comparable rate elsewhere. That action will say more to the company than a message on their blog will.

I personally find the ads irritating, but I’ve also received 5 star service from GEICO when dealing with an accident. I wish they would dial-in on a couple of broadly entertaining marketing strategies, like the original “rhetorical question” ads, but I’m not about to abandon a company I’ve done business with for 10 years based on 1 unsuccessful a campaign. Certainly they could learn something from the appeal of Farmer’s “training” ads or pretty much everything Allstate brings to the table or even what Afflack has done the last decade with Gilbert Godfrey the Duck.

47. jim says:

Bad commercials.

Totally fed up with the increasing barrage of mediocrity and talentless crap out there, so my picks for entertainment are few and far between. When my entertainment is ad-sponsored, I usually pay attention to the ads. Lately, everytime I click on a UStream site, I have to sit through a Geico taste-test ad. After 3 or 4 of these, I’m so disgusted that I find something else to do. Same now goes for a television show that gets interupted by taste-tests.

Have a drink of some insurance. How does it taste? This is not edgy humor, this is stupidity. I couldn’t imagine ever wanting to do business with a company so foolish as to waste money on this drivel.

Sure, irritating ads may get better results than entertaining ads. And I get it – “other” insurance will leave a bad taste in your mouth. Geico taste-test ads leave a bad taste in MY mouth – it may be bile… Fairly sure I’ll try to steer clear of anything Geico in the future.

48. Veritas says:

Wow… some of you folks really need to lighten up and get a life.  It’s a TV commercial, not the end of the friggin’ world.  Wow…

49. Ler says:

It might not be the end of the world, but they make me mad that they thought
    it was a good idea.

50. Hulu_viewer says:

Incredibly biased. A misguided attempt to woo customers. What are you trying to prove?? Kool-Aid tastes better than vegetable juice? Is it some kind of analogy? If so, here’s one for you: Kool-Aid is cheaper and tastes better but lays waste to your body; whereas vegetable juice tastes awful and might not even be cheap, but it is in fact good for your health.

It is not amusing as a joke. How would you feel if another company bashes you by campaigning nonsensical pocus hocus against your brand name?

If you want to win brand loyalty and good will, show us that you are a company we can trust – one with strategies and integrity.