Weaves, waffles and panthers in new ‘Easier Way to Save’ commercials

By on February 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done to save money? That’s the question GEICO asks with its “Easier Way to Save” television campaign that has featured guinea pigs rowing a tiny boat and a day care run entirely by robots. Now, the zaniness is back with a new round of commercials that depicts even more ridiculous efforts to save money.

In the first spot from the new series, our hero, Ronald, sits interview-style on a couch and hints at a new way to avoid the high costs of online dating. His brilliant idea? Change the lyrics in popular songs to his own personal karaoke dating profile. Other crazy ideas from this series: using a rescue panther as a home security system and hiring middle schoolers as a replacement for a dieting program.

Not enough for you? Rest assured that the craziest is yet to come. In the face of all this, just remember one simple rule: there’s an easier way to save.

28 responses to “Weaves, waffles and panthers in new ‘Easier Way to Save’ commercials

1. Kelly Gagnon says:

I can’t understand what the man is saying at the end of the panther commercial. Any help on this one?

2. Angela says:

I think he’s saying “I’m getting sleepy”, but she “shhhh” him at the beginning of the sleepy part.

3. Heather says:

I know, I can’t figure it out either.

4. Ronald Stepp says:

This has got to be the worst directed commercial in history, at least as far as GETTING THE ACTOR TO SAY HIS LINE WITHOUT LISPING!

Aren’t there coaching instructors that help actors who have sybillant S’s???

I THINK he says “I think I’m safe.” but the cow next to him shuts him up before he can finish. This commercial runs non-stop where I live, so it’s EXTREMELY annoying that Geico can’t put out a commercial where you can understand one of the main lines of their damn commercial.

Thank God I’m not the only one, there are tons of people out there who also didn’t get it.

5. Jazmyne Tidwell says:

My hair line is recieding but i’m getting a weave, getting a weave ! Hahaha !

6. AtomicAJ says:

I saw it on closed captioning the other day – it said “I think I’m going…” and then the wife cut him off “Shh!”

At the end he says something like, “It turns out we don’t really need sleep.”

7. Worry says:

I wonder if the Rescue Panther could replace Flo?

8. Brian Moran says:

I thought I was the only one who had trouble understanding what the guy says at the end, I still don’t know but at least now I don’t feel as awkward since many others had difficulty understanding what he was saying as well. Thanks

9. Cale says:

I think hesays,  I think I’m a sleep, asit’d they are sleeping with their eyes open.

10. Oppie says:

There’s a very obvious edit (for those who have done editing) at the end of “I think I’m S…” where they cut out what he’s saying and faded in background noise. They’re just screwing with  your head…  I’ve done a bit of radio and commercial work.

11. VAN says:

He says “I think I’m late”

12. Sarah says:

He is saying, “I think I might…”  but his wife Shh’s him before he can finish.  If you watch his lips carfully he puts his lips together to make the “M” sound and you can hear the “T” sound at the end.

13. Sarah says:

14. Debbie Jordan says:

First, he’s the one who makes the ‘s’ sound at the end of his statement, but the rest of the word is unintelligible. She doesn’t move her lips at all.

More importantly, of all these so-called money-saving solutions, this one is the silliest (or stupidest) because the ‘solution’ has the complete opposite effect of it’s stated goal: Feeding and caring for a big cat like this would cost far more than service from the best-known security companies in the country.

This pair need their collective head examined!

Still, that panther is a beautiful animal! We still love the commercial!

15. Faith Waggoner says:

I don’t feel so bad now. I thought I was losing my hearing, and could only come up with ” I think I’m lunch, just before the cat licks his lips.

16. FunkyKIX says:

“I think I’m Sikh”
    “I think I’m a Sheik”
    I think I’m switching to AMICA

17. Jane Donahoe says:

What you do not appear to understand is that THE GEKKO IS GEICO,  We do not want panthers licking their lips nor, God help us, screaming pigs.  Whoever is responsible for the latter (Screaming Pigs), should be shot at dawn.
    This commercial is totally without merit and is an offence to the ears of viewers.
    Get rid of it AND BRING BACK THE GEKKO.

18. KittehLover says:

I love the panther, i love the girl…who is she??

19. Crystal J. says:

BEAUTIFUL BIG CAT! I love panthers! As for what the cow says? I don’t give a hoot!

20. Rane30 says:

We’re the fools here!! His lips don’t even match the audio of the commercial. This was created to have a bunch of people ask this question “what does he say?” now we’ve all talked about “geico” and that’s what they intended. WE ARE ALL PAWNS!!!!!!

21. Digital Jedi says:

I wonder if the Rescue Panther could replace Flo?

Er, I think Progressive might take issue with that.

22. Liz says:

OMG I am SO glad I’m not the only one. I have Hulu and the panther commercial plays over and over again and I can NEVER figure out what the hell he is saying…so I guess he’s saying “I think I’m…” and then he get’s cut off by his wife; I really didn’t expect it to be that lame once I finally found out he was saying…you’d think that would be the funny kicker of the commercial. Boo.

23. Liz says:

…And even if we are their pawns, I still don’t have Geico insurance, it’s too damn expensive.

24. amy says:

I’m so ashamed.  I think this is the truest statement on the whole page!  LOL

25. amy says:

I know….Geico is more expensive than any other insurance I called!  Progressive was the next in line!  I’ll keep my insurance, which is expensive enough as it is.

26. CaiteeCruelle says:

My theory about this commercial is that they were too cheap to pay for the actress to speak so they cut out her “shh”.

27. Cate says:

In the panther commercial if you watch the guy’s lips as he says “I think I’m…” he clearly does not mouth anything with an ‘s’ in it. My theory? Whatever the original line was it was actually funny but did not play well to their test audience so they dubbed over it with whatever unintelligible thing he says now.

28. Paul says:

I haven’t understood a word the Geico Gecko has said yet.  It sounds to me as if his mouth is stuffed with ping pong balls.  How can you run an ad campaign when your main character is incomprehensible?