2012 Music Festival Preview – Coachella

By on January 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Back for 2012 is our #MusicMonday blog series highlighting some of the biggest music festivals in America. First on our list is the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, Calif.

The three-day festival will take place on consecutive weekends (April 13-15 and April 20-22) for the first time this year to meet demand. According to Coachella’s website, “In an effort to try and accommodate everyone who wants to experience the festival, COACHELLA 2012 will be two separate events, held over two consecutive weekends. Same lineup … same art … same place … different people.”

Yet tickets for both weekends sold out in just a few hours. Sounds like three days battling the heat and dust is worth it.

This year’s lineup features headliners The Black Keys, Radiohead and Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg along with an impressive undercard with some of my favorites including Explosions in the Sky, M83, Neon Indian, Bon Iver, Miike Snow, The Head and the Heart, Florence + the Machine and many more.

Planning to make the trip, or just want to learn a little more about the festival? Here’s a collection of some of the best articles, previews and tips I’ve found.

Have some music festival or camping tips? Who’s your favorite act at Coachella, past or present? Share your thoughts in the comments! And if you’re driving to Coachella, by all means buckle up and mind those speed limits!

7 responses to “2012 Music Festival Preview – Coachella

1. ccamacho says:

wish geico would sponsor tickets for us!

2. tom says:

I hear RadioHead is great.  I dont know alot about the but many music friend have great things to say about them.

3. Matt says:

I have been lucky enough to see the Black Keys twice in the last 2 years and I’m going to catch them march 20th in cleveland, only a 3 hour drive from buffalo.  I have seen them in very small venues, if they bring that same energy to the main stage at Coachella they will totally dominate the festival. Wish I could go!  Also, rumor has it that the Foo Fighters may be a late addition to the Coachella line up!  Looking forward to the blog on Bonnaroo!!

4. Aaron Carrow says:

Does anyone know if Fever Ray is playing again?

5. tom says:

I agree Black eye peas would be a party. Ive only heard stuff on the radio but Im tempted to grab an album and give it a serious listen.

6. Sandra Scardino says:

Having just moved from Palm Springs I was lucky to be there for several Coachella Fests.
    Last year Paul McCartney showed up last minute.
    It’s the place to “star” watch if you are so inclined.
    The limo drop off point is one of the favorite places to be for the “star-struck” as well as the Clubs where they play after the show.

7. Marcela says:

the line-up this year sdouns awesome. I’m thinking of asking for 3 day passes as a b-day gift (albeit many months in advance). An AS meetup would be so legit. Put some faces to the names/jpegs. 0