They call him GEICO

By on January 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM

As a member of GEICO’s public relations staff, I hear about our company’s name being used in some pretty interesting and creative ways. The other day, though, a story like I had never seen came across my desk.

Captain Justin Carlson, a fighter pilot in the United States military, is known by his colleagues as “GEICO.” It’s his nickname, or as aviators call it, his “call sign.” These have a long history in the armed forces and are given to an aviator by a member of his or her squadron or training class, or by some other colleague.

Here’s the story behind Captain Carlson taking on GEICO as his call sign. Early in his career as a pilot, Carlson experienced some minor mechanical mishaps with his plane and was also prone to leaving his helmet in maintenance spaces.

The mechanics who maintained his jet were none too happy about the mishaps, and they figured that if Captain Carlson could be a fighter pilot, it must be so easy a caveman can do it. Soon thereafter, images of the GEICO caveman circulated around the squadron and made their way onto Carlson’s locker and on the squadron’s picture board in place of his face, and GEICO became his call sign.

Captain Carlson has embraced his call sign. He holds the company in high regard and has a strong appreciation for its storied history. “My opinion of GEICO is very high,” Captain Carlson said. “I’ve read a lot about the company’s history in the course of reading about Warren Buffett and Ben Graham. I respect how it’s grown to be the cornerstone of Berkshire Hathaway, which I regard as the most sound and dependable company in the world.”

8 responses to “They call him GEICO

1. Crystal J. says:

GEICO FTW!!!! YOU ROCK, CAPTAIN!

2. Joe says:

I didn’t say anywhere in the article if he actually insured with GEICO

3. Sean says:

The other guy’s call sign is goofy, by the way.

4. Raldo says:

Back handed compliment? By calling him GEICO, they are basically calling him a caveman.

5. Gracie ROO says:

Its kind of interesting how the call signs are given. ‘Geico’ as a call sign is indeed an honor. I bet there aren’t any “Progressive or State Farm” call signs. Thanks Captain, you ROCK!!!!

6. Wade says:

My call sign is “Flo”

7. Francisco Rodriguez Jr. says:

My call name is Daddy Warbucks

8. Barbara says:

On my facebook page I wrote that although I’m far from a corporation person, I have to tell everyone
    about my experience with GEICO.  I’ve been with GEIC0 for 30+ years.  They have ALWAYS been there
    for me.  Now with two of us having flooded cars they are on top of it.  They are always available to
    speak to.  They have treated me fairly thruoghout the years.  They are one amazing company.

I’m glad I kept up my coverage even though my car is old so I will get something back for the next
    car which I have to buy very, very soon due to the fact that the flood caused my car to be undrivable.
    As long as Geico will keep me, I will keep them!