Swim safely this summer

By on June 23, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Posted in: Safety and Insurance Issues

Spending a few hours at the pool is a great way to escape the hot summer heat and cool off. And the pool is a great place for having fun, socializing with friends and exercising. Swimming isn’t all fun and games, though … whether you have your own pool, or you’re swimming at a friend’s or at a neighborhood pool with a lifeguard, there are things you should consider to ensure the safety of your kids and your family.

• If the pool is not in use, make sure that it has a cover or a gate that’s locked – or both – to minimize the risk of anyone falling in.
  • If you or someone in your family doesn’t know how to swim, take lessons from a local professional before you jump in.
  • Have someone act as a lifeguard when the pool is in use.
  • Keep a cell phone, First Aid kit and flotation device handy in case there is an emergency.
  • Learn CPR.
  • Ensure that any pool you use has compliant drain covers and encourage swimmers to stay away from drains and openings to avoid entrapments.
  • If you’re going to be out in the sun for a while, cover up or use plenty of (waterproof) sunscreen to minimize skin damage from sun exposure.Check out the www.poolsafely.gov website for lots more information on how to swim safely this summer.

Just taking a few small steps will help ensure that you and your family stay safe this summer while at the pool. Once you’ve taken the proper precautions, go ahead and jump in – the water’s fine!

9 responses to “Swim safely this summer

1. Smart79 says:

Owning a pool is hard work, if anyone has any suggestions for me on how to keep the water clear. I have added all the right chemicals and it seems it is always cloudl after about a week of refilling it. I love have pool but this is stressing me out!

2. angel2704 says:

It’s worth it to switch to a salt water pool.  No more expensive chemicals and it always stays clear.  We put about 2 bags of salt a year in our pool @ $6/bag.  $12/year vs $100’s on chemicals for a chlorine pool and less time and energy was worth the initial investment for us.

3. Chris says:

I don’t own a pool but I’ve definitely seen the advantages over having a salt water pool verses one with chlorine/chemicals.  The water doesn’t have that strong chemical smell, either.

4. amanda says:

Shock it once a week. use algae killer once a week. and make sure you are using plenty of chlorine because I have in ground pool and use 4 tablet a day to keep mine clear… was having same issues until the hardware store advised me of what to do… they say the sun eats up the chlorine very fast…no problems since…

5. amanda says:

also just a tip about the salt water systems… you will have to get a new pump every two to three years w/ the salt system because the salt eats it up…

6. Nick says:

When its cloudy, it means that your filter is not running long enough or is not running efficiently.  Your pool should turn over once every day… Review your filter manual to determine how many gallons per min or hr it will filter.  By calculating this figure into how many gallons your pool contains should tell you how long to run your filter… I run mine 5 hrs a day to filter 20,000 gallons…   again if you are already doing this, your filter is not running efficiently enough… see your local pool dealer…

7. sewingbunny says:

Make sure you keep your filter clean and, as Nick already mentioned, run it long enough.  Also, I keep a floater with chlorine tablets in the pool at all times.  I’m in Florida and this time of year when it’s so hot and rains so much I usually use 4 gallons of chlorine every week versus one gallon in the winter.  When in doubt about chemicals you should take a water sample to the pool store with you for analysis.  Keeping the balance just right is important for preserving the surface of the pool.

8. poolside says:

I knw exactly what you mean! This is my first summer with an inground pool & it is proving to be a lot of work. I have to constantly add chlorine tablets and shock to the pool weekly. Every time it rains—its critical to treat the pool right away b/c it will turn green.

9. KaroOl says:

Hi Kevin, We have a 20,000 gal pool. Last year we had a problem with, what the girls at the pool store, cllaed martian poop. It was lime green at the deep end. They had us try all kinds of chemicals. We finally bought some phosphate remover that got rid of a lot of it. We struggled all summer with keeping the free chlorine up. Combined would jump up when I would try to shock. I had surgery and was just now able to uncover the pool. Here we go again. I have no free chlorine reading and my alk. stays high(170 to 200) it jumps around. When I try to shock, my combined jumps up, but no free chlorine. The pool store checked my well water and it checked high in phosphate. So, when I add water I am adding phosphate.Thanks, God Bless