Take the road song trivia quiz

By on April 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM

My first car had a cassette deck. Creating a “road trip playlist” consisted of fishing under the seat or reaching over to the glove box to find the next song. I suppose that qualifies as distracted driving. Not recommended.

Thankfully, now I can sync my music library to my phone and plug it into my car. I can focus on the playlist at home, and on driving while I’m … driving.

With summer coming, it’s the perfect time to brush up on your road trip music knowledge. Take our quiz, and go grab some of the tunes for your next driving excursion.

Let us know how you did. Or, show your age by telling us about the 8-track player in your car. Rock on safely, blog followers!

38 responses to “Take the road song trivia quiz

1. Philip Brumbles says:

Drift Away ! My 64 Dodge Dart had a 8 track player stuffed in the glovebox with electrical tape. Caught on fire! I think I wore out my Led Zepplin, ZZ Top and Eagles tapes!

2. Elizabeth Pence says:

That made my Saturday working sooo much better!!!!

3. Mr. Fred says:

Booooo. Those were all just radio-friendly rock hits.

I might be young, but there’s better driving music out there!

Listen to the band, the National while driving at night.

BEST experience ever.

…or try some new age post-psychedelia. Animal Collective. Beach House. Neon Indian. The Flaming Lips. MGMT. Panda Bear.

Have some fun with some awesomeness!

4. Caput says:

Booooo. Those were all just radio-friendly rock hits.
    I might be young, but there’s better driving music out there!
    Listen to the band, the National while driving at night.
    BEST experience ever.
    Have some fun with some awesomeness!

That’s some pretentious hipster goodness.  Doesnt one need to have a mustache to listen to these bands?

5. JR says:

Just put on some Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

6. Jenn says:

I would spend hours monitoring the radio for songs I liked and then click record on my tape player to get those favorites- Like Def Lepard- “pour some sugar on me” Motley Crew and Madonna- then I would add others from cassettes that I had to make road trip mixes– it required quick reflexes to get the tape player in synch without recording any of the extra DJ banter.

7. Leez says:

We just got the soft top on our Jeep Wrangler, and the soft doors. When summer hits, we head out east with the top down and doors off listening to The Wall, and Queen. Connect the phone to the jack and where out.

8. karen says:

The Doors, The Eagles, The Beach Boys…………real music

9. Dee says:

REO Speedwagon, “You can tune a piano, but you can’t tuna fish”  Great 8 track, that I listened to in my first car……74 Chevy Nova hatchback…..also, anything by Blue Oyster Cult…….god, I’m old.

10. Helene Avila says:

65 Chevy Impala listening to Tommy James & the Shondells, Chicago now that’s old

11. Boris says:

Who doesn’t love a little Gloria Estefan?

12. Loopy says:

“Who doesn’t love a little Gloria Estefan”

I celebrate her entire catalog!

13. HeyNow says:

hahah that’s really funny!

14. lisarenee says:

windows down…bass cranked up, volume up to the limits…..wind in your hair…..doing 55….and singing at the top of your lungs…BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY ….and of course you must add the Wayne’s World head thrashing at the appropriate parts

15. Mr. Fred says:

HA! You know it’s funny how every time someone brings up a band that’s not on the radio, or has an “indie” following, everyone always dissmisses it and calls the listeners hipsters. Why don’t you actually try listening to the music? All I was trying to do was name some chillin’ new tunes (The Flaming Lips have been around since the ’80s) And what about David Bowie, The Cure, Joy Division, T.Rex, Talking Heads?? “Hipster music” of the 70’s-80s??

I’m not the ones living in the past listening to the same mediocre Bob Seger songs on some one-hit wonder radio station.

AND BY THE WAY. I can’t even grow a mustache. So HA!

16. Angela says:

Renegade by Styx is one of my all time “blast it out going down the road” songs!  Add a little Queen to the mix, and I am one happy beach goer!

17. angela says:

i loved my dautson and my eagles and acdc    i just showed my age   new age 40 its great and i remeber all the old music. my dad had the 8 track tapes in his pickup

18. Nathan says:

Fleet Foxes, Death Cab For Cutie, fun., and my personal favorite to listen to while driving, Foxy Shazam.

19. Mr. Fred says:

Helplessness Blues is an amazing album. One of this year’s best. :) I’m excited to hear the new Death Cab.

and fun.! haha. I was a big Format fan back in the day. :)

20. HH Mckee says:

What, Eddie Rabbit can’t get no love up in here?  C’mon people, he loves a rainy night!!!!

21. Iris says:

I enjoyed Hall and Oates, Salt-n-Pepa, and Young MC.  I used to rock out on Van Halen and Kiss in my old datsun…  That was good music

22. Ted says:

Crank the speakers and roll down the windows for China Grove by rthe Doobie Brothers!!

23. Ryan says:

I think you might be required to be wearing skinny jeans as well…

24. Pati says:

There is only person to listen to his name is MEATLOAF****Love his music especially Paradise by the Dash board Light!! and In The Land of the Pigs the Butcher is King……….

25. Connie says:

China Grove….awesome!  Don’t forget about Boston, KISS and Ted Nugent!  My Ford Futura was rockin out with the 6 speakers i had put in.  Good times!

26. Dylan Keeton says:

Duuuuude, I’m only 23 but I KNOW the good music, man! Cassette players in cars were dying out before I was ten, but my parents both had 80’s cars, so I listened to plenty of mix tapes. By the time I got my car 5 years ago I wanted piles of music. That said, I hate digital distribution and MP3 players, so I have what I’d consider the 8-track of my generation: I LOVE CD’s!!!

Coming to Roadtrips I need The Who, some Rolling Stones, Beatles, Talking Heads, The Darkness, Dwight Yoakam, Golden Earring, Ted Nugent, Doobie Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Stone Temple Pilots, Elvis Costello, Nine Inch Nails, STYX, Kansas, Tom Petty, Rush, Stevie Wonder, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Steve Miller Band, Stevie Nicks, Hall & Oates, Fleetwood Mac, Steeley Dan, and whatever else I’m feeling that day.

Not to mention I’m liable, if I’m on the road long enough, to stop by a music store and buy something new in case I run out. I can never get enough music from enough genres and enough eras. All of you arguing about each other’s tastes in music ought to expand your horizons a little bit! There’s good music everywhere!!!

But yeah, hipster dude is a little snooty about his tastes…

27. LANE WILDER says:

GOING TO NEW YORK AS A LITTLE GIRL. MY GRANDMOTHER WAS A DON WILLIAMS FAN. 8 TRACK ALL THE WAY THERE.  ALSO CHARLIE PRIDE. YEP I AM OLD!! LOL

28. hashey13 says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who adds the Wayne’s World part in there!!!!!!!! My favorite song and movie of all time!!!!!

29. chris bray says:

I cant grow a mustache, and I dont wear skinny jeans. But, I am quite keen on “Hipster” music, including Animal Collective (previous 2 albums, anything earlier is a bit too eradic and disharmonic), Death Cab for Cuite, Bright Eyes etc. Yet, Tool, The Mars Volta, Between the Buried and Me satisfy something so primal and intense, that the average “Hipster’ may faint from the soinc onslaught. I dont think music is the crucial defining point for the title “Hipster” people seem to so liberally sterotype, just as the value system promoted by mainstream hip-hop shouldnt help classify its listeners as ignorant.

30. ivy moore says:

okay …i must be the oldest.  favorite was jimi hendrix…yes… 8 tracks

31. ivy moore says:

and he was alive!!

32. JORDAN says:

You’re not old. Jimi Hendrix was the greatest guitarist ever.

33. Joan says:

How about Deep Purple’s Highway Star and Smoke on the Water!

34. HeyNow says:

Thats a pretty poor example of a one hit wonder. I would have went with “Lose your love” by the Outfield.

35. Free writer says:

Geico is a great company with great costumer service i appreciate all there help. A company that treats costumers with respect gets respect back and geico is a company that treats costumers with respect. Thank you Geico.

36. Chris says:

Well said, Free writer!

37. Go-Girl says:

Give me some Jimi, some Janis, some Beatles & some Beach Boys, I’ll take some Metallica, some Queen, some Jeffrey Starr, and a little Linkin’ Park, too. I’d also like a double order of the 80’s Salt-n-Pepa, Queen Latifah, some C&C Music Factory, a little dash of Enigma and some Nightwish, too. Oh, and while we’re at it, I’ll take some Sweeny Todd, some Sting AND The Police both, some Phil Collins, some George Thurgood, a dose of Def Leppard, some Iron Maiden, and Motley Crue, too! Yes, I have an EXTREMELY eclectic taste in music – so what? It just means more to party with! Especially for the road trips to the beach!

38. Lal says:

I believe that evnrethiyg happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go. Things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they’re right. You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. Marilyn Monroe.This is one of my favorite quotes of all time and is something that is quite inspirational. Marilyn Monroe was one the most influential, star-studded actresses in her in the 1950 s. When you analyze her quote, her words provide so much truth to life. It makes you realize not to take life so harshly and if you let it, evnrethiyg will fall just right.[]