Top holiday movies – ever!

By on December 23, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Everyone has a favorite holiday movie. Mine happens to be White Christmas. I love old movies and I think this one captures everything that there is to love about Christmas. Here are some of the season’s other famed movies.

• It’s a Wonderful Life. A Christmas classic. Really, this needs no explanation.
  • Miracle on 34th Street. Another Christmas classic. What’s not to love about a spunky little girl and a department store Santa Claus?
  • Christmas Vacation. Not only hilarious, but I think there’s something in this movie that everyone can relate to.
  • The animated classics. The holiday season just isn’t complete without: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas and A Charlie Brown Christmas.
  • Home Alone: This movie is pure genius. The falling paint cans, slippery steps and an infinite number of pranks never get old.
  • Love Actually: This is another personal favorite. When several stories intertwine to create one heart-warming fairytale, what’s not to love?
  • A Christmas Story: All Ralphie wants for Christmas is a BB Gun. Who doesn’t? This movie is also a great reminder not to stick your tongue to a frozen flagpole – bad idea!

Which of these is your favorite? Have I missed any other classic holiday films?

70 responses to “Top holiday movies – ever!

1. Kristen says:

My family has always enjoyed as a Christmas movie
    While You were Sleeping
    and Mixed Nuts not to mention the classics you have already mentioned

2. nathan ross says:

” The Ref ” has to be the funniest christmas movie ever. Dennis Leary and Kevin Spacey. Laugh like crazy every time i see it.

3. Lloyd Marshall Jr. says:

“A Christmas Story” is my favorite live-action holiday movie.  My favorite parts are… “YOU’LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!”  “FUDGE!”  The bully getting his.  The Chinese turkey.  And who can forget the dad’s “major award”?

The Charlie Brown/Grinch/Rudolph cartoons are my favorite holiday animateds.  “Do something right for once, Charlie Brown!”  And he returns with that sickly excuse of a tree.

4. Shelley Walker says:

There is truly nothing more toichung than it’s a wonderful life.
    The pit of the story is how one person touches not only one but so many others through them. it always makes me wonder have I touched others with good and have the world be better for my having been here.

5. phillip peterson says:

cmon, how about JINGLE ALL THE WAY?!

ARNOLD + CHRISTMAS = AWESOME

6. michele says:

What about March of the Wooden Soldiers with Laurel and Hardy or emmitt otters jug band christmas????? anyone???

7. Trick says:

Definately down with Emmitt Otter’s Jugband Christmas…Look at all the birds in the trees

8. Keri says:

Scrooged and White Christmas are classics also!

9. Fred says:

cmon, how about JINGLE ALL THE WAY?!
    ARNOLD + CHRISTMAS = AWESOME

YOU CAN’T BENCH PRESS YOUR WAY OUT OF THIS ONE!

10. Debbie says:

How about Mr Magoo’s Chrismas Carol?

11. Randi says:

Hands down Emmit Otters Jug Band Christmas!! A serious moral told by Kermit the Frog so you know its true. I make everyone watch the DVD every year before they can eat.

12. Mike Eavey says:

One that has not been mentioned is “Holiday Inn”  which happens to be the movie that introduced the classic Christmas song “White Christmas”

Other personal favorites include “It’s a Wonderful Life”, “Miracle on 34th Street” (the original), “Christmas Vacation” and “Emmit Otter’s Jug Band Christmas”.

13. Connie says:

Die Hard and Friday After Next…..I watch the Godfather every Christmas too!

14. angela phillips says:

of course every year at xmas we watch a xmas story and the movie we watch most for holidays is at thanksgiving it is trains planes and automobiles love it love it

15. Brian says:

It seems like the first Christmas movie we watch each year is The Polar Express.  Home Alone is a Thanksgiving tradition.  We always watch A Christmas Story at least once a year.  How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carey’s version in addition to the animated one) is usually watched as well.  I like the first “Santa Clause” as well.

16. amy says:

All of your listed movies! I also love Flintstones Christmas Carol, White Christmas

17. Amie says:

ELF!!!

18. Candace says:

Home Alone is a must. You gotta love Elf it’s hilarious! And A Christmas Story is a classic.

19. tom says:

i always liked ‘The santa clause’

20. Karen G says:

A Pocketful of Miracles with Betty Davis, Peter Faulk, and Glenn Ford.