’Tis the season … and has been for quite a while

By on December 7, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Thanksgiving having come and gone, we’re now hip-deep in “the holiday season.” But if you judge strictly by store decorations, we’ve been in it for many weeks already.

I have mixed feelings. I love the spirit of the season – I’m all for anything that gives us an excuse to get together and celebrate with family and friends, particularly if the promotion of peace and goodwill is involved. But the gradual intrusion of what I think of as December holidays on Thanksgiving and even Halloween – it seems to start a little earlier every year – bugs me.

Maybe it has always been this way, but it seems to me that we used to be able to let Thanksgiving just be Thanksgiving, without the day after being such a noteworthy holiday shopping day that it now has its own name: Black Friday. And Halloween was so totally separate, it might as well have been in mid-summer. Not anymore. These days the fall colors and iconic images of Halloween and especially Thanksgiving find themselves more and more fighting for our attention with those of the December holidays.

Commerce is king, I guess, and there’s no use whining about it. But I liked it better when October was just about costumes and trick-or-treating, November was devoted to turkey, stuffing and being thankful for one’s blessings, and December – all by itself – gave us plenty of time for decked halls, spinning tops, lit candles and all the other year-end holiday activities, including shopping.

“Christmas, a humbug?” No way – like I said, I love the spirit of the season. I just would rather not be assaulted by the December holidays before Thanksgiving, let alone Halloween. My advice is to ignore the December holidays (if possible) until it’s actually December, and then focus on what’s most important about them: things like friends and family, spirituality, generosity, kindness, gratitude and peace.

But that’s just my opinion. Enjoy the season in whatever way you prefer, and be safe out there. And if you have any holiday survival tips you’d like to share, let us know.

8 responses to “’Tis the season … and has been for quite a while

1. Patrick Quinn says:

As an English major, this hurts. >.<

2. Darlynn Warren says:

I agree.  Everything seems to be going at a faster pace now, holidays come too soon and kids grow up too fast.  I think we need to slow down and enjoy life before it passes us by.

3. Kate says:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this. This is what I’ve been telling my friends and family for ages.
    Christmas – for those that are religious – is a religious holiday. For those that worship other religions, or even just aren’t religious at all, it is a time of family and caring.
    But what about the rest of the year? Why do we need to wait for the shiny balls and jingly bells, the many lights and “holiday sales”? If we truly love a person so much that we would like to spend money or time on them, why do we have to do it on a designated date? Why can’t we just get them gifts any time in the year?
    Why do we have to wait for the “holidays” to suddenly remember those not as fortunant? Yes, winter is harder and it’s wonderful that we provide hats and scarves and coats to those not able to get them at the ever increasing prices, but do these people suddenly need less in the other 12 seasons of the year? Where are the volunteers and the generous donations then? I’m not saying No one does, but I’m saying that we doesn’t do enough.
    The word “Holidays” seems to mean different things to people. Some think it means “birth of saviour”, some think it means “remember those long gone” “remember a miracle, “friends, family, and love”, “be generous, donate”, “buy lots of things and gifts and be financially irresponsible.” Whatever the definition, I’m just glad to have at least someone else out there that isn’t a fan of seeing things three months in advance.
    Sorry for the rant, I just get so frustrated this time of year.
    But, for whatever you like, whatever you celebrate, have a happy holiday season, and enjoy it. :)

4. TheMaeds says:

Kate I agree. #tistheseason

5. Ching-Sung Chin says:

Halloween in mid-summer ? … oh no… that’s will be way too much fun for those little trick-or-treaters… they might have knocked your front door 10 times before the mid-night :)

6. K.C says:

I don’t get the point… Oh, well!  Happy Holidays!

7. Brenda says:

Oh how I agree with this!!!  I try to stay out of stores starting in mid October simply because I cannot stand to be overwhelmed with Christmas carols and wrapping paper while digging through the clearance bin to get my Halloween candy that has been out since late August.  And can you believe as I was Christmas shopping on Friday that one store actually had out the heart shaped boxes of Valentine candy????  That is all part of the reason I prefer to shop on line these days.  Merry Christmas to all !!

8. Chris says:

This comment is a little bit overdue, but I wanted to share my thoughts on the subject. I agree with Kate to a large extent. I don’t celebrate any holiday but did for many years. The caring and love that’s seen around the holiday’s (for the most part) should be displayed year-round. My family has get-togethers and gift giving at other times of the year and we have just as much fun. I don’t need a Christmas tree and stockings to be in a “giving spirit.” Furthermore, the holiday’s are so commercialized nowadays that no matter whether you celebrate them or not, you’re sick of them by the time they arrive!!