Thank you, veterans – especially you, Dad

By on November 11, 2010 at 8:44 AM

It’s Veterans Day, a special day for us at GEICO. Our company was founded to serve government employees, including members of the military. We’ve always had a great appreciation for the commitment and dedication of the nation’s men and women in uniform. For decades, we’ve expressed this appreciation through our GEICO Military Service Awards. We understand and accommodate the special insurance needs of members of the armed forces; we have a team of associates dedicated to that mission in our Virginia Beach office.

But when Veterans Day comes around, I always think about my father. He served in the Navy during World War II, as a radioman on a minesweeper in the Pacific. He rarely talks about it unless asked, but not because of any painful battle memories. There simply isn’t anything terribly dramatic in his story, so there’s not much to tell.

He was a draftee, and his tour of duty was blessedly uneventful. His ship wasn’t involved in any combat; in fact, she never even found a mine to sweep. The closest my father came to a military experience worthy of a story was as part of the fleet sailing to Tokyo for the signing of the treaty that ended that part of the war. Alas, his ship developed engine trouble and the fleet sailed on without her.

No matter. My father is a hero to me, no less than he would be if he had seen combat. Anyone who puts on a military uniform accepts the risks and sacrifices that may come with it, and is worthy of the same respect and honor. Dad was lucky – and so are my brothers and I – that he came through the war unharmed, then married my mother and had four sons.

So, thank you, Dad, and thanks also to all of your brothers and sisters who proudly wear or have worn a military uniform. You honor us all with your service to the nation.

How about you? Anyone particularly on your mind today?

19 responses to “Thank you, veterans – especially you, Dad

1. Mike Eavey says:

I served in the Air Force at the height of the Vietnam conflict and although I was never deployed into the combat zone I had many friends who were.  On this day I often think of those who went and especially those who never returned.  It makes one wonder about all of the twists of fate in life.  I’m sure there were reasons why they were chosen and not I but it makes one wonder.

2. angela phillips says:

i am greatful to my hubby who served 14 years now is out on disability i worked in the  military center in va beach for 6 in a half years serving those throught geico who fought for our country it was wonderful now i am a gfr in chattanooga where we are from so thanks baby for what you have done and to all the verterans out there who risk their life for our freedom

3. Carol says:

My dad also served in WWII– he was a pilot.  He rarely spoke about the war– and I know several WWII vets that didn’t talk much about it either.  But when I introduced him to my new husband, he opened up and shared some of his stories with my then fiance.  He passed a few months ago and I was very glad he shared some of those stories.  They called that generation amazing and it continues to amaze me how such young men accomplished all they did.  And as my dad said, “if it wasn’t for the WWII vets, we’d all be speaking Japanese.”

4. Tara says:

My husband just returned home from Afghanistan in August, and my dad was in the military for over 20 years, I appreciate everything the military does for us.

5. Crystal says:

I served in the Army for 4 years, during the beginning of Operation Enduring Freedom, and Operation Iraqi Freedom.  My unit, 2/6 Cavalry, was the second unit across the Iraqi border, and the first aviation support unit in the country.  I will never forget the feelings of being part of an invading force, but more than that, I will never forget that I am still here to have those feelings.  I have so many friends who are not.  We should remember that Veterans day isn’t just about thanking the ones who are still here.  It’s about remembering that someone was laid to rest under an American flag.

6. Mike says:

My grandfather served as a truck driver for a convoy in world war II during the height of the european invasion. He was a part of convoys who came through areas right after they were seized from enemy control. He was at Normandy, Baston, and eventually in Berlin at the end of the European conflict.

My uncle also served during Vietnam for the US Army. While he never saw any action, he was deployed and served at Army command posts overseas.

Not only that, but i have several close friends who have served in the Afghanistan and Iraq in the past few years. One served three tours as a Marine and one is currently serving out his enlistment in the Air Force as a co-pilot flying C140 cargo planes every other week.

I am extremely appreciative of all our military does for us and am very proud to work for a company who has been so directly affected by our military.

7. Craig B says:

My Dad served as a Chaplains Assistant during Vietnam. It makes me feel good to know that instead of taking lives he was taking a knee to help end the war. God Bless all of our brave troops serving in the armed forces.

8. Bill B says:

My son is a staff sergeant, special forces in the U.S. Army. He is now back at Fort Bragg after his 5th tour in Afghanistan. God Bless all of our soldiers.

9. Sarah says:

My grandfather served in the Navy for 4 years. He never spoke much about it. Today I have a few friends that serve in various branches of the Army.  I am grateful for their sacrifice!!
    I also work for Delta at the airport as a gate agent, if I see anyone in a uniform, I will automatically bump them to first class, I know it’s not much, but that’s how I can show my appreciation to them.
    Thanks to all who serve and have served!!! :)

10. Trish says:

My husband, a United States Marine, who is currently serving in Afghanistan. He is on his second deployment within the past 2 years. I appreciate and am thankful for all that the military does for our country and am thankful for those who lay their lives on the line for us daily :)

11. S Wynne says:

My father ia a decorated Vietnam war veteran who served 23 years in the United States Marine Corps.    I am extremely proud of that.    I wish he knew that.

12. Marc says:

My grandfather served as a Warrant Officer in the United States Navy for over 30 years. Even though he has been gone for several years, we still remember his long-time commitment to our great nation.

Like many veterans, he was very humble; I never even knew that he was a WWII Purple Heart recipient until after he passed away.

13. Mike H says:

To Greg M-
    My grandfather also served as a radioman in the Pacific and I think he was on a minesweeper as well.  I wonder if they might have served together.  If you could, email me so we can discuss it.  I would be curious if my grandfather might know your father.  thanks,
    Mike

14. Linette Reasons says:

My Husband has served in the National Guard for almost 15 years now. He was deployed to Iraq for the second time and got home safe this last April. I have the utmost respect for him. I truly appreciate all the sacrifices he has made for our Family and our country.

I am honored to be married to a Veteran.
    Thank you to all the Veteran’s who have served our country!!!

I also want to thank the Family’s who have had a loved on deployed, both past and present. You too are the back bone of this country!

15. Linette Reasons says:

I am honored to be married to a Veteran. Thank you to all the Veteran’s who have served our country!!!
    I also want to thank the Family’s who have had a loved deployed, both past and present. You too are the back bone of this country!

16. Jason K says:

My father served in the Navy for 22 years, and I served in the Army for 8. I was medically released from the Military but I did deploy after 9/11. I appreciate as well am thankful for all that have, and will serve.

17. Melanielynn Schiller-Seidel says:

I think of several members of my family that served in various wars & conflicts.

Especially my Grandfather who was a bomber pilot in the war where he met his future brother-in-law. After they were shot down, he met my Grandmother who was visiting the military hospitals looking for her brother and information on her other 2 brothers that were missing in action. After meeting her, my Grandfather didn’t relent and eventually won her heart but she made him wait to marry until all of her brothers returned home. Luckily, they eventually all did and my Grandmother married him and had children which make me thankful for the strange twists of fate and for the dedication and sacrifices that they all made and eventually made me who I am.

18. blog.geico.com says:

Thank you veterans — especially you dad.. Peachy :)

19. Karlav says:

You write so honestly about this. Thanks for sarhnig!