Oct. 4-8: Drive Safely to Work Week

By on October 4, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Posted in: Safety

For those of you who are endlessly frustrated with drivers who cut you off, tailgate and constantly slam on their brakes – you are not alone!  And let’s not forget about sitting in hours of traffic every week (or is that just me?) and those glorious moments when you blow a tire or get into a little fender-bender. As if our work lives aren’t stressful enough, dealing with bad drivers going to and from work gets us aggravated, tired and frustrated.

That’s why the responsible folks at the Network of Employers for Traffic Safety’s (NETS) created ‘Drive Safely to Work Week’; to remind us that there’s no better time to start driving safely than when we’re going to and from work.

Keep in mind, the goal of DSWW isn’t just to drive safely for one week; it’s to encourage safe driving, not just when you’re going to and from work, but all the time.

Distracted driving is one of the primary contributors to bad driving. Here are a few statistics that might influence you to put that cell phone down and stop checking your e-mail in the car:

• Did you know that distracted driving is responsible for 20 percent of car accidents? That means that at least 20 percent of accidents are 100 percent preventable. How’s that for a statistic?
  • A recent simulator study showed that drivers on cell phones fail to see up to 50 percent of the information in the driving environment. That’s like only being able to see out half of your windshield. Scary, huh?

Check out the other materials on the Drive Safely to Work Week website and research the various ways you can improve your driving. And if you’ve observed any bad driving behavior you’d like to share, please comment below.

*Thanks to NETS for providing the statistics, comic and all additional information regarding Drive Safely to Work Week.

6 responses to “Oct. 4-8: Drive Safely to Work Week

1. Carol says:

One of these days will we be able to report these kind of drivers?

2. Rosemarie Dalton says:

Women putting on their eye make up & lip stick as they drive is enough to make me crazy.
    Drinking “hot” (really hot coffee)…A guy in a pick up on my road spilled his morning drive through coffee on his lap right after he got back on the road. He reacted by going into on coming traffic and killed the other driver who was in a smaller car.

3. Jennifer S says:

Thank you both for your comments, Rosemarie and Carol!

Putting on make-up while driving is one of my biggest pet peeves too. Let’s hope they learn more about the dangers of distracted driving and break these bad habits soon!

4. Maximo Zorrilla Jr says:

The thought alone of texting and driving is completely mind boggling & makes me sick to my stomach.  I now have a 6 month old & when I get behind the wheel, I take extreme caution because accidents are unpredictable and happen when you least expect them.  Sadly, we have a nation full of text addicts & this has officially become an epedemic.  What exactly triggers our brain to check our e-mail or a text message while driving a vehicle is beyond me?  Teenagers are too naive & care-free until reality hits them & the judge has no choice but to charge a teen with manslaughter.  An entire life ruined caused from a distraction that is no better than drinking and driving.  This will continue to be a tribulation & major concern for all parents until we have a permanent solution.  Going forward, I think a new law should be proposed which will deny a driver below the age of 25 the right to buy a car unless it includes hands free capability (bluetooth).  I cannot stress enough the importance of this issue; Don’t be surprised to hear more horrific stories on your local/national news that tie cell phones & fatal crashes together.

Texting & Driving is a recipe for disaster.

-Max

5. Jennifer S says:

Thanks so much for your comment, Maximo. And you are right; texting while driving has become an epidemic. If people take the time to think about others in their car and on the road (the way you do with your 6-month-old) then perhaps they’ll think twice about checking that e-mail or reading that text message. Again, thanks for your insightful comments!

6. Ching-Sung Chin says:

First of all, the sad fact: there will always be car accidents (that’s also why car insurance business exists), unless there are no cars.  So, drive defensively.  A promising aspect: car accidents can be reduced via driving education and law enforcement.

Another sad fact: human being is not perfect… human being is prone to be distracted (not only in driving). That’s why the majority of car accidents are caused by human being.

Distracting activities while driving include:
    ·         Texting (to me, it’s the worst next to DUI)
    ·         Talking to a cell phone (I saw some drivers yelling to the cell too)
    ·         Using a PDA
    ·         Using navigation system
    ·         Watching a video
    ·         Grooming
    ·         Putting make-up
    ·         Changing the radio station, CD, or Mp3 player.
    ·         Eating and drinking (sorry… I do this occasionally)
    ·         Reading, including maps (sorry… I do this sometimes)
    ·         Talking to passengers (sorry… I do this most of times)

So, drive defensively and expect the unexpected.