We all just want a car to love

By on August 12, 2010 at 11:51 AM

I love my car. It is nothing special to look at – a 2003 Hyundai Sonata with a few stray scratches here and there. The interior’s showing its age in places, and it could stand a vacuum, but none of that matters much to me – I love it just the same as I did when it was brand-spanking new.

Of course, that’s one reason I love it – it was the first (and only) new car I’ve ever bought. But mostly I love it because it does what I need it to do. It is better than I am – much better – about getting started in the morning, and it faithfully carries me to work every weekday. Then it waits patiently in the lot until I leave the building at the end of the workday, and carries me back home. It never complains that I leave it sitting in the hot sun or pounding rain for hours – even on those rare occasions when I forget to close the sun roof and the interior gets wet.

Sure, once in a very long while, it has a minor mechanical issue that requires attention. And it has gotten dinged a time or two (with GEICO handling my claims flawlessly, of course). But all in all, it has been a tremendously reliable, comfortable and reasonably economical ride, which is all I want from a car.

I’ve owned a Chevy, a Honda, two Subarus and a Plymouth, and they’ve all been pretty good vehicles, but the Hyundai’s my favorite. How about you? Have you ever loved a car? Tell me about it.

23 responses to “We all just want a car to love

1. sls says:

i love my ’06 VW Passat, prior to owning it, i had a ’96 Jetta. what can i say … i love my v-dubs!

2. RT says:

I agree! Some of us attach to our cars as part of our personality + expression of ourselves.  I love my Fx35 because of its stylish shape to its tech savvy interior.

3. JW says:

My first car was a little green Nissan Sentra sedan.  I loved that car so much!  I nicknamed it  “Money.”  I drove that car for miles and miles until the air conditioning, the alternator went out, and the car just stopped in its tracks and said to me, “No more.”  I remember I used to have to actually pull the windows up with my fingertips because at the end the electronic windows system would not work, and the car did not have a way to roll up the windows manually.  That was a really good car.

4. Pete says:

My first car was back in 1980 when all of my friends had “muscle cars”. It was a “70 Chevelle. I had it for about 2 years. I invested a lot of money and sweat into that car. An unfortuate situation saw it towed to the junk yard.  Shortly afterwards came the ’67 Mustang Fastback!

5. Brent says:

My first car was my 1991 Acura Integra.  It was the love of my life.  My parents bought it when it was bone stock and over a few years I put every dollar I made into the car to make it look beautiful.  My Integra was one of a kind.  Everything on it was customized to my liking.  Even though it was an older car, it  ran like a champ.  driving to and from vegas every other weekend with no problems at all.  The day I had to sell it because I was moving I shed a few tears i won’t lie.  Still to this day that car has been my favorite car hands down!

6. Jessica Haywood says:

Mine was a 67 vw superbeetle. I still love that car, even though I totaled it more than 16 years ago…

7. Samaire says:

I have a 2006 Mini Cooper that I adore.   She’s British Racing green and has black leather seats and a sun/moonroof.   Her stereo sounds like a dream and she runs faithfully and flawlessly.   She’s never stranded me and takes very little maintenance.   She gets awesome gas mileage and speeds along like a little trooper.   I love this car so much that I’ll keep her forever and when she’s put out to pasture, I’ll probably get another Mini Cooper.   I think she’s run forever though, she’s true and loyal, like an old friend.   She was my very first brand new car and I paid for her in cash and it’s a really good feeling.   I go everywhere in my little girl, who I’ve named “Leaf”.   She’s all mine!

8. Greg M says:

Great to hear about everyone’s car loves! My first was a ’67 Chevy Malibu with a three-speed shifter on the steering column. It had 70,000 miles on it when I bought it; I put another 70,000 miles on it, and sold it for the same price I paid for it. Loved that car, too!

9. Jason Heine says:

1999 Kia Rio FTW!

10. Tammy says:

My first car was a 1968 Ford Mustang (Betsy) ..white w/ ivy green interior…It was very powerful and very fast…(why would someone give a 16 yr old such a car)…well anyway I loved it…but I was young and poor and didnt have the money to mantain such a veh… I now have a 2006 Chev Impala and its great!!!  And I too have loved each and every one of my vehicles…:)

11. Deb says:

My favorite vehicle has been my 05 Jeep Liberty. I’ve had a Camaro which I loved but my Jeep is it.  My husband bought it for me as a wedding present and I love it. It has leather seats…. which I never had – and they heat up in the winter – toasty.  I treasure this vehicle – not only because I always wanted a Jeep, but because my hubby bought it for me :) .

12. Tiff says:

Honda all the way!! I’ve had 2 Civics and they’ve never let me down.

13. mena says:

I loved my first car was a 1994 old cutlass. It was a hand me down from grandma, when grandpa couldn’t drive anymore. But I still loved that car. It was big and white and I took me college and home every weekend when I was homesick. I had so many first experieces in that car, first time I hit someone because i wasn’t paying attention, first time I ran out of gas, first time I blew an engine because i didn’t know that if the oil light came it wasn’t to let me know that i had oil, but because i was running out of oil.  I loved my big white olds.

14. Lindsay says:

My favorite car was my 1991 Mercury Cougar XR-7, 5.0. It was black and even though it was the size of a tank, I loved riding in it. My Dad gave me the car when I turned 16 and even though I am a girl, the 5.0 cougar made me fall in love with cars. I know drive a 2009 Scion tC, her name is MaryJane. She is my second favorite…

15. TT says:

07 Honda Fit sport. Handles great, it’s like driving a go-kart. Too much fun

16. tanya salley says:

HONDA’S OF COURSE!!!!! I’ve had 3 honda’s never let me down!!!!

17. ABC says:

whoo TT! I love my ’09 Honda Fit Sport, too! It’s my first new car, as a gift to myself for graduating from college. Sure, I’ve only had it for a year, but I love her! I call her Purple, because, well she’s purple. TT is right, it is so fun to drive! I drove a Toyota Rav 4 and a Nissan S15 while in high school in Japan.. and as much as I liked those, they don’t even begin to compare to my Purple <3
    I also like that I average about 37 mpg!

18. Lizzy says:

1st car was a 1981 Datsun 210 hatchback – manual tranny – my sister had to drive it home from dealership since I had yet to learn how to operate a clutch – hahaha! Great little car for all the miles I put on it

19. Brittany Banks says:

My first car was a 1999 toyota avalon which i still have and love very much

20. ToddAich says:

Favorite car of all time…  my 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo!  Black with tan interior.  it was so fun.  but only two seats so it had to go when my son was born! :)

21. adam mitchell says:

Nissan Xterra. No Bentley’s, Rolse Royce’s, or Ferrari’s for me. My CupCake was the best car ever. She was my dream car that i actually was able to own, and was a beautiful maroon =] two deers, an ex’s car, and a mailbox couldnt bring that tough cookie down.

22. Elizabeth says:

No it is not a good car for a teen. It’s tiny, it holds two people and nnoihtg else and you can buy a Toyota Corolla that gets just as good gas mileage and you get a back seat and a real trunk.It’s a toy for rich people.

23. Spirit says:

Just caught up on the March blogs. They aaylws take me back to a pleasadant place and time (not that now isn’t a pleasadant place and time). I like seeading your thoughts. I have simadiadlar views on cars. They are necadesadsary and funcadtional. But I have aaylws been susadpiadcious of leasers. I am not sure whether it sigadniadfies a fear of comadmitadment or an excesadsive conadcern for exteradnal valadiaddaadtion. I have kept most of my cars for at least ten years. I am sure that I was still driadving my 1969 Chevy Maladibu when you were a stuaddent ata0ISU.