What it’s like to live in … Washington, D.C.

By on August 4, 2010 at 4:30 PM

GEICO has business locations scattered throughout the United States. As part of an ongoing series of posts, we’ve decided to reach out to GEICO associates all across the country to share some of their favorite things about the places where they live and work.

Washington, D.C., also known as The Nation’s Capital, may bring the president, politics and power to mind, but I assure you, there’s much more to this city than those obvious attributes.

D.C. has become a thriving metropolis with culture, fantastic restaurants, shopping, museums and more. If you’re a first-timer visiting D.C., the Smithsonian, the White House and the Washington Monument are a must. But visiting the cobblestone streets of Georgetown (don’t forget to eat at Clyde’s or stop by Georgetown Cupcake while you’re there!); taking a waterfront cruise in Alexandria; or enjoying a food tour of the D.C. borough of your choosing will make your experience all the more enjoyable.

One of my favorite things to do in the city is go to the Eastern Market. A co-worker recommended this shortly after I moved here and it’s been a favorite spot of mine ever since. Located in Southeastern D.C., it’s a market where you can find unique jewelry, hand-made pottery, fresh foods … and that’s just the beginning. After you’ve finished browsing the market and bargaining your way to a few treasures, enjoy a light lunch at one of the outdoor cafes and you’ve pretty much had the perfect day.

During the summer, catch movies on the National Mall, go to a Nationals game, and wander around the row houses on Capitol Hill to get the full Washington, D.C., experience. Then you’ll understand why there’s so much more to this city than just politics. Have a favorite D.C. spot that I haven’t mentioned here? Please, share!

9 responses to “What it’s like to live in … Washington, D.C.

1. Matt says:

What I like about the DC area is that you could live here all your life and still not see and do everything that the area has to offer.  There’s a never ending list of thngs to experience. Historical landmarks, shopping and restaurants, sports (even though we seem to be in a funk COME ON REDSKINS!!!), and community events are just a metro stop away.  But you can also get away – less than a 2 hour drive you can go get to the beach or the mountains. It

2. Diane Carnegie says:

I was born in DC  (back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth) and it was great.  I lived in the Southeast and we would play at St. Elizabeths.  Every summer the kids in the neighborhood would go to the Smithsonan and every other place in town.  It’s nice to see things are only getting better.

3. Jennifer S says:

Thank you both for your comments!

Matt – I love your point about D.C. being so close to the beach and the mountains – definitely makes traveling easy (and fun!).

And Diane – You should come back for a visit! There’s lots to see :)

4. Virgil Crawford says:

I have lived in DC for a most of my life. Some of the favorites that have not been mentioned are Adams Morgan for fine International dining, and Night Life, as well as the U Street Corridor, which is becoming famous for both live jazz as well as great food. You just can’t get away from Rock Creek Park which houses the National Zoo, a petting farm, the Nature Center and endless miles of pristine forests riddled with hiking paths. Miles and miles of paved streets in the park are blocked off during warm weather weekends for biking and speed skating. Let’s not forget great mall style shopping, eating and movies at Union Station and The Shops at National Place. For joggers, you haven’t experienced the joys of jogging until you have jogged the entire gamut of the National Mall on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Still hungry? Stop by the Washington Harbor or the Washington Wharf (one of DCs best kept secrets) for fresh seafood, either already prepared or still jumpin!!! Then you can work it off at the Jefferson Memorial by renting a boat that peddles around the Potomac like a bicycle. The list really goes on and on!

5. Jennifer S says:

Wow, Virgil! You have added some great ideas here (some of which I have not experienced since living here). I’ll definitely be adding a few of these adventures to my ‘Things I must do in D.C.’ list! Thanks for sharing!

6. Erica Moore says:

I lived in DC for four years while I was in college.  I went to Howard University in NW DC.  I loved spending time in Adam’s Morgan.   There is just so much to do and what an eclectic place.  There are so many things to do, any kind of music you want to listen to and the summer nights are perfect for the outdoor dining that’s available.

7. Candice M. says:

Virgil has hit the nail right on the head.  I was born and raised in DC and to this day I have still not been able to take in all of the great sights, activities and resturants in the area.  You could spend a lifetime and a half in DC and still have things left to do.  So ENJOY!  all that you can do and then do a little bit more

8. Anne S says:

I agree with Virgil on all of the great places in the DC Metro area and things to do.  One of my favorite is to bike from upper 16th street nw to the airport and watch the planes take off by the river or sit across from the Kennedy Center and watch the boaters and fisherman on the river.

9. Brent says:

I used to live in D.C. (well actually in rockville, MD but it was a short drive to D.C.).  Me and my family always would go down to D.C and walk around all day seeing all the sites.  Everytime we went to D.C we would always see something new.  One of my favorite parts of going to D.C. was taking the subway system.  I always looked forward to taking the subway down there.  But going to D.C was something I always looked forward too.  But my favorite favorite time to go to D.C is around christmas time.  The Christmas lights and all the decorations are beautiful.  All the christmas tree ordiments from every state, the decorations on the white house.   Its something I think everyone should experience.  I love D.C!