Mechanical Breakdown Insurance reassurance

By on June 1, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Posted in: Claims

By guest blogger Holly Z., performance monitoring analyst, San Diego

Recently I discovered that my vehicle needed to have its transmission replaced. I couldn’t believe it! My vehicle was only five years old and I kept it in immaculate condition. I took it to the repair shop and the mechanic told me that it was probably going to cost about $1,200 to have it repaired. This was a mechanic that I have gone to for years for regular oil changes and tune ups, so I knew that he was being fair in his estimate.

Suddenly, I began to stress about the cost of repairs; I didn’t have that kind of money to put towards my vehicle. Then I remembered something about my GEICO policy – I had been paying for Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) for just a couple of dollars a month. Could it be that this coverage helps me with my repair costs? Sure enough, MBI would cover the cost of the transmission and labor. I could take my vehicle to my favorite mechanic and get it fixed!

The coverage included all parts and systems of my vehicle (other than maintenance), not just the items that are covered by my dealer warranty. GEICO quickly handled my claim and I was able to get my vehicle fixed and back on the road in just a few days – and I saved more than $900! GEICO also guaranteed the repairs, so I didn’t have to worry about the possibility of future repairs. Now, when I see our commercials with the eyeballs and money “watching me,” not only am I reminded of how much I am saving by insuring with GEICO, but I think of the all the money I am now saving on mechanical repairs and glass coverage just by carrying Mechanical Breakdown Insurance!

Tags:

11 responses to “Mechanical Breakdown Insurance reassurance

1. ron says:

i see your ads on tv and they’re not funny, just stupid. that leads me to believe your company doesn’t take insurance seriously. i don’t do business with stupid!!!!!
    by the way, i did get a quote from you and you were $4oo.00 more than i pay for state farm for the same coverage.
    no reply is necessary!

2. Greg M says:

Our ads may be silly, but nobody takes this business more seriously than GEICO. That’s why our customer satisfaction rate is in the high 90s. Congrats on finding a good rate. No company has the lowest rates everywhere for every customer. If your circumstances change, I hope you’ll consider getting another quote from us!

3. Jerrilyn Ramey says:

I am very satisfied with auto insurance policy.  I have been with Geico for years and have always received superior customer service when having to deal with the company.  I give Geico Five stars….

4. Jack Wade says:

I have to tell you Ron, you are way off base. I’ve had their MBI for 19 years, and they have paid every claim, very quickly, and very generously. It’s probably saved me over $10,000. I don’t know how they make any money off the MBI because it doesn’t cost that much. If you’ve done any homework at all you would know that GEICO is a large company, and they take their insurance very seriously. While I’ve also had a good claims experience with State Farm on my house, there’s a lot of people who haven’t. I doubt seriously that GEICO costs $400 more than State Farm for the exact same coverage.

5. Paul B says:

Waste of money.  Been a Geico customer for 24 years.  I think that it is time to change.
    I had Mechanical Breakdown Insurance on my car for 11 years.  When I bought it new, it was a small item on the bill.  It went up slowly over time until I was paying $100 per year.  Never used it.
    When I examined my bill and realized I was paying for this, I called Geico to ask why this did not expire after 7 years.  They said I had a special deal that gave me the breakdown insurance with no expiration.

6. Judy says:

I like Geico insurance.  Totaled our F150 and travel trailer in an accident.  Had to work with them some to figure out the travel trailer, but once we did, they were more than fair in their compensation.  Couple years later, husband had a fender bender that was his fault and again, really good service.  Through all of this, they never canceled our coverage.

I will NEVER do business with State Farm again.  We had their homeowner’s coverage and when a ceiling collapsed in our house, we contacted them to see if it might be something that was covered under our policy.  We were told that it wasn’t and they never paid out a DIME to fix the ceiling.  The next time we were up for renewal, they canceled our policy.  Their reason…..excessive claims against the policy.  Excessive?  We contacted them only the 1 time during the 4 or 5 years that we had our coverage with them and they never paid out anything in claims.

7. Cinthia says:

i have pet plan… all i can say is its amazing. go to the wbeiste and check it out… i have the gold plan which gives u $20,000 of coverage a year and you pick ur deductable and coinsurance..(i have a $50 deductable and 0% coinsurance) so i only pay $50 and pet plan pays the rest.they have the most coverage, even hereditary diseases and hip dysplasia.for more information, you can look at other questions ive answered about pet insurance, theres alot

8. eric says:

I have been with geico for a while now.  My insurance is extremely cheap for an RV and a diesel truck.
    I was recommended by a current customer at the time, and I have recommended geico to others since then.
    Everyone I know has saved money with geico.  There is only one caveat; geico appears to be a little more expensive if you have tickets or an at-fault accident.  I don’t have any of those, so I could not be happier.

9. eric says:

oops, I meant to say most everyone I know has saved money with geico, not everyone.

10. Danette says:

I called Geico for a quote, for 6 months they quoted me 767.11.  AARP quoted me 565.97.
    RUN as fast as you can to someone else.

11. car insurance says:

At times MBI helps a lot.I agree.