What you didn’t know about GEICO

By on March 18, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Here’s a little tidbit that you may not know about GEICO. We are a wholly-owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway.

What’s Berkshire Hathaway? Well, you may not be familiar with Berkshire, but I’m sure you’re familiar with its owner, renowned investor Warren Buffett. Yep, that’s right, the Gecko and the Caveman are in cahoots with Mr. Warren Buffett himself.

Buffett’s company, Berkshire Hathaway, made its final purchase of GEICO stock in 1996, acquiring all the outstanding shares of the company. Buffett was one of GEICO’s very first investors when he began purchasing stock way back in 1950 at the ripe age of 20 (talk about foresight!). He has been a proud supporter of GEICO ever since.

Berkshire Hathaway has been in existence for about 44 years now and is based in Buffett’s hometown of Omaha, Neb. In case you’re curious, here’s a list of some of GEICO’s sister companies, also owned by Berkshire Hathaway … I’ll bet you’ve already heard of many of these:

Do you want to build a home or furnish one?

Got a sweet tooth?

Need something to wear?

Or looking for something sparkly?

Looking to travel on land, sea or air?

Or maybe your business needs a little assistance?

And you can read all about it!

12 responses to “What you didn’t know about GEICO

1. Joseph says:

Hi Jennifer, I thought you guys might get a kick out of the video that we put up on Youtube with my (almost) 2 year old grandson and I doing a Geico bit. We think its really funny. If you go to Youtube and type in WOULD MAKE A GREAT GEICO COMMERCIAL, you’ll see it. Let me know what you think! Thanks & have a great day!………….Joseph

2. Jennifer says:

Thanks for sharing this, Joseph.  What a cute video! You have a great day as well.

3. Chris says:

Buffett must be rich as heck.

4. Ashley says:

Did people actaully call the Company Gecko or was that just an advertising thing?

5. Jennifer says:

Thanks for your question, Ashley! You’re right. People were mispronouncing GEICO and were saying ‘gecko’ instead. As a result of the confusion a few ad execs from GEICO and The Martin Agency got together and our lovable Gecko was born!

6. Ramon says:

Haha. I still remember the commercial where he was in the conference room speaking into the microphone. He looked nothing like he does now though. It’s kind of funny because back then I wouldn’t have pictured myself working for geico one day. The company wasn’t as well known either. Crazy to think how much this company has expanded since it opened it’s doors to the public.

7. HarlemGal says:

Thought you would be interested to see this! Geico air ads in Harlem!

8. Jennifer S says:

Thanks for sharing that video, HarlemGal! Those are our GEICO Skytypers – you’ll see a blog post that’s all about them soon. :)

9. Scott says:

Hey there – the link above for See’s is to Nebraska Furniture Mart. I was hoping for candy, and instead, I got furniture. :-)

10. Nathan E says:

Thanks for the heads up, Scott! It’s been corrected :)

11. Dan O says:

i have enjoyed your commercials enough to bring you my business.  Then I learned Buffet owned it.

I will go elsewhere

12. Go-Girl says:

Dan O, that’s your choice – but keep in mind, Mr. Buffet is the 3rd-richest man in the WORLD, not just in the U.S. That should count for something. Plus, the man’s got a good head on his shoulders – he doesn’t own several businesses for no reason!

Go Warren Buffet!