Welcome to blog.geico.com!

By on March 1, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Posted in: Claims, Marketing & Communications, On the Web, Sales and Service

Greetings, and welcome to the GEICO Blog, where I’ll be your host. I’ve been at GEICO for 26 years, so I know a thing or two about this company and the insurance industry.

I’ll be posting here regularly, and if you have a question, I’ll be able to answer it … or I’ll know where to find that answer. But this won’t be my personal blog, or anyone else’s; GEICO Blog will feature postings from many other GEICO associates. And, of course, we hope you’ll join the conversation, sharing your thoughts and opinions about the topics we address.

I look forward to the exchange of ideas! It has been my privilege to tell the GEICO story to our employees during my career, and I’m excited to have a part in sharing some of those stories with you here.

Speaking of which, this is just one of many ways we’re reaching out to engage the online community. Maybe you’ve already found GEICO on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr or YouTube. If not, check us out via those avenues as well. And please let us know what subjects you’d like to read more about here.

Tags: ,

33 responses to “Welcome to blog.geico.com!

1. Jerry says:

I really like the new commercial with the announcer who compares saving with Geico to Charlie Daniels’ fiddling ability. I couldn’t get it out of my mind that I had seen the announcer before. Then I realized that he is doing a mediocre immitation of Rod Serling from the 1960s hit TV show The Twilite Zone.

2. Greg M says:

You may well have seen him before. He’s Mike McGlone, an actor who has appeared in such films as “The Bone Collector,” “The Brothers McMullen” and “She’s The One.” And yes, he does seem to have a bit of Serling in him in our commercials.

3. Maryanne M says:

Great blog, Geico! :-)

4. R. Keck says:

Forget Charlie Daniels. McGlone grates on me like Billy May. When I see it coming, I either switch channels to hit the mute button.
    Bring back the Gecko!

5. Sandra says:

I think Mike McGlone is a spoof on the guy who is on the Allstate commercials….  McGlone has an expensive suit just like the Allstate guy… it’s like telling the viewer that it is idiotic to place stock in an insurance company’s announcer and what really matters is ”GEICO could save you 15% or more…”

6. Nita R. says:

Cool blog.  Luv the Gecko.  I just signed up for Oprah’s No Phone Zone Pledge.  Geico should consider adding a link to the pledge on it’s site.  If more people commit to not texting while driving, then the number of accidents will likely decrease and lives will be saved; Geico aligning itself with Oprah would be great for the company’s image.

7. Greg M says:

Thanks for your comments, Nita! We are supporting the AT&T Don’t Text and Drive effort; another place where people can take the pledge to not text while driving. We have links to that campaign on our Facebook and Twitter pages. The Facebook link is here: http://www.facebook.com/ATT?v=app_10531514314&ref=ts.
    Greg

8. EDITH FRANKS says:

I AM MAKING  A COMIC   WITH ALL THE PICTURES I’VE COLLECTED OF MY FRIENDGEICO      DON’T EVER CHANGE THE LITTLE FELLOW. PLEASE.

9. EDITH FRANKS says:

OH I MEAN MY FRIEND THE GECKO. I LOVE THAT WIDDLE FELLOW.    BEST COMMERICAL ON TV  EDITH FRANKS

10. Greg M says:

So glad you like the Gecko! We’re mighty fond of him, too!

11. Freddie Ellington says:

I shopped around and found your rates to be a bit on the high side.  Why is that?

12. Greg M says:

It’s impossible to say without knowing the particulars of your situation, Freddie. As you probably know, many factors go into determining each individual’s rate. No company has the lowest rates everywhere, for everyone, but ours are generally competitive.

13. A Jones says:

The commercials with the actor lamely trying to do Rod Serling are the most annoying on TV. I would never ask for a quote from this company. Go back to the Gecko!

14. William says:

Just something to read about cell phone usage and car crashes.  But this is coming from a guy who truly believe in personal responsibility. Not government enforced responsiblity.  So take note.

15. jrussell says:

My wife and I have a disagreement on the Mike McGlone commercials.  I say it’s not his voice, she says it is.
    Who’s right?

16. Greg Marsh says:

It’s Mike, all right.

17. kelly mcbride says:

i am having problems with my geico insurance., I know i am just one of your millions of policyholders but I am having sertios difficulty with my policy . I have tried to get help[ on local level but I really need help from someone higher up. I am a disabled mother of 2 and cannot afford to loose my insurance . Please someone help me a.s.a.p.  Thank you so very much!

18. DaveC says:

Maybe Geico should quit trying to be cute with their little lizard and put more people on claims. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks from the date my car was rear-ended and I still can’t get Geico to accept responsibility to repair my car. For 3 weeks they have been waiting for a fax from Alamo stating that the Geico customer didn’t also have Alamo insurance…..kinda slow fax….if I ever thought about switching to Geico… or my friends, family, or students….I have spread the word….

19. Pablo says:

I have not had a bad experience with Geico. I also haven’t had a claim. Claims make the company. That’s not why I’m posting though. I would like to see more on what Geico as well as the rest of the industry is doing to stop insurance fraud.
    The last time my policy renewed it went up slightly. When I called the Geico rep told me that fraud was the main reason for the increase. I felt as though Geico was merely a clearinghouse for my money to pass onto the perpetrators of this “fraud”. I get that rates will increase when fraud and abuse increase. What I don’t see is anyone working to solve it. We live in a time when if your credit cards get stolen we don’t worry because the banks are “insured”. It’s really more like bonded by their customers” funds. Whenever a premium goes up because of an other-than-the-insured’s fault not only do we all pay but the at fault party gets away with it.
    I was somewhat insulted when I was given the above-mentioned reason. All auto insurance marketing praises good drivers and tells us how we’ll save money. I think it’s more like bad drivers pay more and good drivers pay regular amounts plus “fraud fees”. My guess is that eventually bad drivers let their policies lapse and become the uninsured motorists we all pay for here in South Florida.

I know there is fraud and we all pay for it.
    Please tell us more what you are doing to stop it.

20. Eri says:

Geico doesn’t raise your rates due to credit- I have them and I have hoirlbre credit- I am even filing for bankruptcy. The # is 1-800-947-AUTO I have been with them for years but even when I started I had bad credit and my rates were low then too.

21. polly says:

Who plays the Geico commercial as The Money Man spreading money as he goes by?

22. Anne says:

I also want to know who the actor is playing the “Money Man”.

23. Yzabeaux says:

Its the same  guy who was doing the previous commercials but  painted up. The guy’s a HUNK!

24. gravytrain says:

It’s Jeff Bridges.

25. oldguard says:

Amyone can see that the money man is CHUCK NORRIS

26. Kesha says:

Thank you for not over charging your customer’s quote.  You offer wonderful customer service and I appreciate that you don’t make decent car drivers pay more for their auto insurance than they should.  Thank you.

27. Trish says:

Yep, looks like Jeff Bridges to me!

28. jonathan says:

I think Jeff bridges is older than the guy playing the money guy.  I think it looks like Q from the show impractical jokers.

29. terri says:

ok, so who is the money man….are they going to tell us?

30. terri says:

kudos on the camel!!!…woo hoo!

31. Greg Marsh says:

@terri: I’ll see if I can find out who plays Money Man, but I guarantee you it isn’t Jeff Bridges!

32. Micah Salsbury says:

It’s the same guy who played one of the cavemen in the older geico commercials. Pretty sure

33. Sheila Gee says:

love the commercials but the Camel has to be the best!  puts me in a good mood each time I see it.